cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I added authorize user to my Amex and they did a hard pull.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added authorize user to my Amex and they did a hard pull.

I thought if anything it would be a soft pull or no pull at all but Amex did a hard pull on my credit file for adding authorized user. Does anyone know if Chase will do the same?
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I added authorize user to my Amex and they did a hard pull.

That is when you added someone else to yours? If so, ouch! Smiley Sad

Chase does not do that.

Message 2 of 37
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought if anything it would be a soft pull or no pull at all but Amex did a hard pull on my credit file for adding authorized user. Does anyone know if Chase will do the same?

Well that's interesting.  Didn't know they did that.  I wonder if it's a YMMV sort of situation.  Hmm....as for Chase.  I've never received a HP for adding an authorized user. 

Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  I added my dh to both my Amex and to my Chase and none of them resulted in a HP

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmm, I have never experienced this nor have I ever heard from friends that this happened. Any thoughts as to why OP? 

Message 5 of 37
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've never had a HP from any lender for adding an authorized user, or being added myself.  My last HP from Amex was in 2002, in fact.  I would call Amex and speak with the Credit Bureau Team, as this is not a permissible purpose for a new credit inquiry.  If that does not solve the issue, I would contact the EO.  I've seen rare cases of this happening when someone called in to add an AU; did you do this online or over the phone?  Which card is this for and how long has it been opened?  Any other recent applications for American Express products?

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to hear the outcome of this if you decide to call and speak to someone, as suggested! I was thinking of having my friend add me as an authorized user on one of her AmEx cards. I don't want her having a hardpull in the process.

Message 7 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I've never had a HP from any lender for adding an authorized user, or being added myself.  My last HP from Amex was in 2002, in fact.  I would call Amex and speak with the Credit Bureau Team, as this is not a permissible purpose for a new credit inquiry.  If that does not solve the issue, I would contact the EO.  I've seen rare cases of this happening when someone called in to add an AU; did you do this online or over the phone?  Which card is this for and how long has it been opened?  Any other recent applications for American Express products?

+1

I 'second' reaching out to Amex to ask about this; I suspect there's a glitch somewhere.

Message 8 of 37
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It would make more sense if the AU were pulled. But in this case, the pull was on the card owner's report.

Message 9 of 37
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

It would make more sense if the AU were pulled. But in this case, the pull was on the card owner's report.

While it would make more sense, that is still not a permissible purpose as the lender is not extending credit to the authorized user.  Still curious to find out whether this was an online glitch or a phone request with a CSR mistake, as the latter is the only kind of example I was able to find of being hit with a HP for adding an AU.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.