Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't believe I missed my 'first' credit card payment on NEW secured card! :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe I missed my 'first' credit card payment on NEW secured card! :(

I am so sad and shocked. First, i don't even remember that I had a $35 annual fee payment that was due. NO IDEA. And i see today that I missed a payment. It was due November 21, I paid November 26. I called them and they said sorry we alredy reported to credit bureaus on the 24th. I cannot believe it. My score is more or less 606 on EX and TU and i''m sure it will go down so much! I don't know what to do!!!! 

I still have that small company that is disputing all my bad items on my reports. I just emailed them too and i'm not sure if they can help me with this one. They just sent out the second round of letters to all the Credit bureaus. 

What can I do here? I will probably lose 100 points. Back to square one. Sigh. I'm depressed. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: I can't believe I missed my 'first' credit card payment on NEW secured card! :(

What CC company is this?

There is something amiss- a payment that is under 30 days late, is not reportable to the CB's.

If your pmt was due on the 21st & you paid on the 26th, there is nothing to report so it cannot show on your file. Perhaps they reported the balance..

That said; it can result in internal "lates" with the CC company thus affecting CLI's and such. 

Don't be depressed- be vigilant.

I check my CC's online nearly weekly for any balances, payments due, ensure payments credited etc.. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I can't believe I missed my 'first' credit card payment on NEW secured card! :(

If the first due date was on Nov 21st, it won't be reported to CRAs until 30 days past that date, hence "30 day late", the CSR you spoke to didn't know better. That said, this will put a black mark on the lender's internal record, trigger late fee and penalty APR. Time to setup that autopay.
Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As others have said. Yes it was late and youll get a late fee. If payment was past Dec 21th then it would be 30 days late. No harm committed. Just internal as Oldman said.

Message 4 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Yep, I'm with the others on this. It should not be a "late" on your report, so you can breathe a sigh of relief. Internally with the lender, I am sure they are aware and have it in their system. It could make things a bit difficult with them down the road.

The big thing is after this scare, you want to go back and evaluate how this ended up being an oversight on your end, so that it never happens again. Some people start with having AutoPay set to pay any minimum ahead of time. But you might also want to adjust how you are keeping track of your bills and due dates so that they are always on your radar, well ahead of time.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The $35 balance is what likely reported. As others have said, there should be no late to report.

Even if autopay is set up, you should be logging into your account several times a month to make sure there aren't any surprises. I can whip through four account logins in about two minutes.

Additionally, check out your alert options. You may be able to choose between app notifications, text, and e-mail.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you guys serious? So I wasn't late after all? I have never even used the card, it's just the 'joining fee'. And the bank is OpenSky. I'm so happy that this wont' report to the 3CB. Phew!!! I just set up the auto pay and thank you guys so much! The person on the phone definitely didn't know crap. I was so distraught and explained to her what happened etc. and she says it will be reported LOL. WOW. 

Message 7 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

When one is only a few days late, it shouldn't hit the reports. However, the lender is likely to hold it against you for a while. A common reaction would be to deny credit limit increases for a year.

Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Aside from missing the due date, are you subscribed to online statements or any alerts (text, email, etc.) or any reminders that can give you a heads up?

As others have mentioned, auto-pay would be an ideal option, but I'm not sure if OpenSky offers such a feature.

Definitely stay on top of your bills OP. Because if this was something that occurred with OpenSky, it could likely be the same for others given the oversight.
Message 9 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Glad you got the auto pay set up. As Heaven mentioned keep checking it for any surprises. FinStar makes another good point also, in seeing if there are any emails or alerts you can set up that will pre warn you of an upcoming due date or payment due.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.