cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cant believe what this did to my credit score!!!!

tag
USSVOYAGER
Valued Member

I cant believe what this did to my credit score!!!!

I am in shock!! In April my TU score was at 746 after working at it for over a year and bringing it up from 550. I started this year as a debt free AQmerican and just because my BOA credit card has a balance of $850.00 out of a thousand my FICO has dropped to 701!!!! With no other lines occupied. So  tomorow I will pay off the card, have no balance reporting and start to rebuild my credit again.

My question is this, if I can maintain a minimum or zero balance for the rest of the year, is it possible to get back up to 750 by year end?

Thanks everyone,

Regards,

P.Od

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: I cant believe what this did to my credit score!!!!

Sorry that happened.  But, utilization is a huge factor in the calculation of FICO.

Is that the only card you have or the only one you use?

You don't want a 0 balance to report on all your CC.

For optimum scoring keep the balance at 10% or below.  Pay in full before the statement posts.

I think you should get your score back fairly quickly as soon as utilization is below 10%.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on being debt-free!

According to my understanding of how it works, if you have score X, then your utilization drops your score to Y, and nothing else changes, if you pay off your accounts, returning your utilization to its original level, your score should revert back to approximately X.

Message 3 of 6
USSVOYAGER
Valued Member

Thanks for your advice, curious, why wouldnt I want a zero balance on my cc? What I have done in the past is within a week or two after using my cc I pay in full. I have two other ccs.

Message 4 of 6
USSVOYAGER
Valued Member

Thank you, I feel relieved, I can now extinguish all 13 ciggerates and resume my drink

Cheers

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@USSVOYAGER wrote:

Thanks for your advice, curious, why wouldnt I want a zero balance on my cc? What I have done in the past is within a week or two after using my cc I pay in full. I have two other ccs.

FICO does not like to see 0 balances on all your CCs.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.