Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need advice on a 10 year old parking ticket letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need advice on a 10 year old parking ticket letter

I just received a letter from East Lansing, MI court about some parking tickets from almost 10 years ago.  It looks like it's from the courts own collection dept. Out of the blue I checked my credit about on 9/24 and nothing was on there. This letter is dated 9/30. I'm wondering if I should ignore this, contact them, or contact an attorney. I definitely can't let this show up on my credit. Any advice?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Re: I need advice on a 10 year old parking ticket letter

As a LEO that works with the courts often, I may have some advice, but I only know how Florida works so YMMV. 

Usualy with courts with unpaid citations, one of two things happen depending on the situation. If it's a civil infraction (parking usually is) and the person don't take care of it in the alloted 30 days, they send an alert to the DMV to suspend his/her license. If it's a criminal infraction, a capias(Bench warrant) would be placed for the person's arrest. But I doubt that the last one is an issue since it's been 10 years and you haven't had any run ins yet. WIth the first, double check your license status on your state's DMV website. But all-in-all, my advice is to wait until business hours Mon-Fri and just call the courthouse. Ask for their traffic division(or eqivilent) and just ask them about the citation. It's best to discuss the situation personally with the courthouse. Some courthouses, especially in small-medium sized areas, are usually pretty lenient and will work with you.

But also the letter you got could have been a scam. Who knows? Then you can have your local PD/sheriff's office investigate it. 

As for the credit part, the courts rarely worry about reporting things on your credit reports. But if they do, like I said above, I'm sure they'll be wiling to work with you. 

EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention that I am currently in Florida right now. I haven't ived in MI for about 9 years.

Message 3 of 9
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Haha okay, well here ya go!

https://services.flhsmv.gov/dlcheck/

Check your DL status there. I'd still call Michigan tomorrow and just check with that court.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ray8806 wrote:

Check your DL status there. I'd still call Michigan tomorrow and just check with that court.

I'm pretty sure Michigan can't suspend my FL license.

Message 5 of 9
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Yep, sure can. We can suspend out of state DLs. The DMVs work closely together in that regard. For instance, if someone visits Florida on vacation and gets a citation, and then they don't take care of it, their license in whatever state can still be suspended. Florida just sends the same suspension order to whatever state. They usually oblige but I suppose each state could refuse if they like. But that's done at the govt. level.

Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm wondering if I should ignore this, contact them, or contact an attorney. I definitely can't let this show up on my credit.

Given the latter, don't ignore it.

Message 7 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well after reading thread. i would say don't ignore it. it will not affect your credit but as officer above said. it could affect your Drivers license.

like you . i have lived in florida many many years.

well. six years ago. i went to renew my license. at dmv.

And they told me i had a hold from chicago.

I said what. i have not lived in chicago. 27 years.

so they gave me number.

it was illinois Dmv.

They said my license was suspended until i paid a ticket for driving without license when i was 14 years old. i was pulled over. in a big empty field driving my dads car to practice.

They accepted master card or visa.

Which i paid the 75 dollars.

Went back and Dmv and they said. it is clear now. and got my New license.

so i would not ignore it.

The worst is to call and as how to take care of it.

But it will not affect your credit. as it is civil. key. take care of things before they get out of hand.

Message 8 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ray8806 wrote:

Check your DL status there. I'd still call Michigan tomorrow and just check with that court

I'm pretty sure Michigan can't suspend my FL license.

Well don't be so sure. they are all linked now. and yes then can ask florida to do it. and they will comply.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.