cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with how to correctly dispute a fraudulent account on my credit report..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need help with how to correctly dispute a fraudulent account on my credit report..

I'm 23 years old, and haven't had a credit card ever. So I was shocked to find out my score is 598 when it should be nothing.

The only thing on my report is a $259 collections account from "10 DUKE ENERGY CAROLINAS PROGRESS" the collection agency is "INTERCREDCOL". I've NEVER even had an electric bill in my name, and I've never heard of either of these companies.

I tried using the Credit Karma dispute form, and nothing happened. I just selected "Fraudulanty opened", and never heard anything/nothing changed.

People who know about disputing things, or have had this happen to them please help me. It's the only thing effecting my credit, apparently because there is a "derogatory remark" from the collection agency that's having "high impact". 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I need help with how to correctly dispute a fraudulent account on my credit report..

This is ID Theft and you need to follow the procedures laid out in the FCRA to get it excluded.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Message 2 of 3
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Re: I need help with how to correctly dispute a fraudulent account on my credit report..

This needs to be reported to FCC, a police report following.  If you are aware of anyone ever using your credit such as family members while you were under the legal age of access to credit, you may be able to get this cleared however damaging someone else reputation.  Call each of the Bureaus and file a dispute over the phone where you can actually explain the situation and require a credit freeze for a period of time.  You can retrieve numbers from Google.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.