Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I now understand the value of gardening

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I now understand the value of gardening

So I recently asked how people can stand to garden. It's just difficult when you've been on a credit rebuild and things have improved so dramatically. Very briefly: my rebuild started in earnest in the Fall of last year when I realized my credit was nowhere close to being in the shape necessary for my wife and I to buy a home in which to raise our daughter and plan for our long-term financial future.

I started with FICO scores in the mid-500s. My best credit card was a Cap One Quicksilver One with an $1100 limit on which I'd never gotten a CLI. Found this forum and got to work. Fortunately, I had a good job with good income. But fast forward to today and FICO 8s are: EQ 701, TU 704, and EX 687. In the past several months I was able to get approved for a Discover ($750), Amex Gold (NPSL), Ollo ($300), Wayfair ($3500 then instant CLI to $4300), Navy Cash Rewards ($500, recent CLI to $1500), Wells Fargo Visa Signature ($6500), Home Depot ($750), and Navy Flagship ($25,000). I was also able to CLI a couple times on that Cap One (now upgraded to Venture One) to $3400. Most importantly, we bought our house and moved in about two weeks ago. It's been an amazing turnaround. And while I've thanked this forum before, let me thank everyone again. I mean it when I say I literally could not have gotten here without all the knowledge and help of the awesome people here. 

Now, as for the garden. I knew intellectually that I should be in it. But I couldn't leave well enough alone. And so I apped for Lowe's and was declined. I apped for Best Buy and got the we will let you know, which means it's declined. I get that I have a ton of new accounts and inquiries and that I need to let things cool off. So, I'm going to continue to lurk on this forum and join the conversation when I can so I can hopefully help other folks the way you all helped me. But I am officially in the garden for no less than one year. There will be no more applications until summer of 2021 at the earliest. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: I now understand the value of gardening

Congratulations on your success! I'm happy to read of your achievements. You've done great with your rebuild.

This community is great. It has a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully, you can impart some of that on future members.

Message 2 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Congratulations!

FYI, "We will let you know" from Citi doesn't mean decline. If that were true, I'd have 6 or 7 of them declined from them.😂

In many cases, it's verification.

Until you get the decline letter. Don't write them off just yet.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have done the same thing lately. I have been rebuilding since october of 2018 and just managed to get approved for four cards, but started getting the wait and see messages for new cards (more than likely declines) due to credit inquiries. That being said, the cards I was able to get will help tremendously in the long run. Best of Luck!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huge congratulations, well done! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Message 5 of 11
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

That's an impressive turn around for sure!! Congrats! & Yes I agree it's so hard to garden!!! I am on month 7 of no apps or inquiries and I'm getting the itch! But I told myself I would atleast garden 1 year which would be November 2020. It's touch but I do believe it'll be worth it in the end!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your rebuild and achievements! Your story is similar to mine, in just over 5 months, I went from no cc and a 628 FICO to currently having 5 cc totaling 31.6k and FICO 745, 728, and 719!

Congrats again and yes, this forum and its members are the absolute best!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the great success!!!

Keep Gardening! I inadvertently gardened for the last year (got busy, right? it happens...) and magically we are ready for a mortgage with mtg scores all > 760.  Who'd have thought, right?

Good luck, good job, keep going!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep Gardening! I inadvertently gardened for the last year (got busy, right? it happens...) and magically we are ready for a mortgage with mtg scores all > 760.  Who'd have thought, right?

I keep seeing gardening mentioned on here. Does that mean stopping all applications for a certain time period? Sorry for the noobie question. 

Message 9 of 11
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep seeing gardening mentioned on here. Does that mean stopping all applications for a certain time period? Sorry for the noobie question. 

Correct! It's all about ceasing new credit seeking. Letting your accounts age and perhaps giving inquiries time to drop off.

stop-3.gif

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.