Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I pay $9000 a year in car insurance!

tag
HELENofTROY
Established Member

I pay $9000 a year in car insurance!

Okay. So it's apparent that I'm in a HORRIBLE perdicament.  I pay $9,000 in car insurance, something that I really wont benefit from, besides being insured.  I do have a history of accidents and speeding tickets.  I know that insurance companies count the last 5 years accidents etc and then they give you a rate based off of that.  When my accidents and tickets start falling off, how can I get a reduced rate?

Are there insurance backdoor numbers? My credit score has increased since my last policy. I guess I just need guidance.  The $767 I pay a month could be for a home...Right now I live with my mom because I can't afford to live anywhere else :-(

Starting Score (4/6/2013): (All lender pulls) Exp 583, Trans 570, Eq 535
Current Scores: (2/13/14) Exp 687, Trans 640 , Equifax 599 (myfico????)
Goal Scores: 640-720

Credit: BOA Platinum Plus Visa ($2K), NFCU Cash Rewards ($6K), AMEX Everyday BLUE ($2K), Victoria's Secret ($500)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonnamus

Re: I pay $9000 a year in car insurance!

I didn't even know it was legal to charge that much for auto insurance. Do you have a lien on the vehicle, or are you able to carry just liability insurance? Have you shopped around getting quotes from other companies?
Message 2 of 36
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Wow!

Where do you have your insurance?  Have you tried places that deal with high risk?

How old are you?  Male?  Female?  Where do you live?   All of this is taken into account for insurance.

Message 3 of 36
Karnage146
Contributor

Holy hell thats alot, thats a similar number to what I got when I FIRST got insurance thru the dealership. Shop around man, those rates are ridiculous, who do you have?

Message 4 of 36
Karnage146
Contributor

Try seeing if you can stay with a friend who lives in like PA or something, they have much cheaper rates. You can live there until you can save enough money to move out..

Message 5 of 36
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Karnage146 wrote:

Try seeing if you can stay with a friend who lives in like PA or something, they have much cheaper rates. You can live there until you can save enough money to move out..

How do you know where they live lol?  The name?

Message 6 of 36
Karnage146
Contributor

LMAO, actually it didnt even kick in that people on the forums are from more than just the tri state area. But those rates sound like NY or NJ rates. Everywhere else is much cheaper.

Message 7 of 36
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Shop around. You can get online quotes without affecting your credit.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 8 of 36
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonnamus wrote:
I didn't even know it was legal to charge that much for auto insurance. Do you have a lien on the vehicle, or are you able to carry just liability insurance? Have you shopped around getting quotes from other companies?

Yep. My daughters boyfriend was paying 138 every 6 months.  He got one too many tickets and it went to right around 1000 a month.

Message 9 of 36
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Karnage146 wrote:

LMAO, actually it didnt even kick in that people on the forums are from more than just the tri state area. But those rates sound like NY or NJ rates. Everywhere else is much cheaper.

When accidents and tickets are involved even a state like Arkansas charges a lot for insurance.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.