Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really need some sound advice please

tag
eliteproxy
Valued Member

I really need some sound advice please

I have a Amex Platinum Charge Card  (had it for 3 months) and I have a payment coming up on the 28th (2 days!) of $20,000

Due to some personal issue this month I was not focused on work, finances or anything else. (being self employed it effected me financially). I will need about 2 weeks to get back on track and the full balance will be paid off. 

I was on a chat with an Amex rep on their site and he stated that if I dont pay by the 28th the acount will be considered 30 days late and a mark will be left on my report.

What are my options? This month was very hard on my family. I was sick in bed most of the month in bed with shivering and in the middle of that my family suffered a devestating tragedy.  I say this to point out that I did not lose any future earnings etc. I just need to get back on track. I LOVE this card and I really dont want to put a negative mark on my report specialy with amex being with them for only 3 months. 

I alrady have things in motion to make sure its paid in 2 weeks form today. Calling amex and speaking to a spuervisor probably is the best option before the due date passes, but any guidence will be greatly appreciate it. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JM427
Contributor

Re: I really need some sound advice please

@eliteproxy Sorry that you had a rough time of it as of late.  Just for clarity sakes, your payment due date is in 2 day's?  and your statement balance is ~20K?  Assuming the above is correct, I don't see how you could me marked late for being 14 days past due, Its possible that I am incorrect since I really never read my account agreement with my AMEX Gold card.  The best advice that I could give you is two fold, I would pay as much as I could possibly muster in 2 days, while at the same time, I would ensure that I communicated with AMEX and that they documented your payment plans to cover the remaining balance due.  Another clarification question, does your card have a POT function, and if so that might also be an option to by some time to complete the full payment.  Hope this helps.

FICO8 Scores as of 2020 JULY 14:

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 3:
Message 2 of 6
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@eliteproxy wrote:

I have a Amex Platinum Charge Card  (had it for 3 months) and I have a payment coming up on the 28th (2 days!) of $20,000

Due to some personal issue this month I was not focused on work, finances or anything else. (being self employed it effected me financially). I will need about 2 weeks to get back on track and the full balance will be paid off. 

I was on a chat with an Amex rep on their site and he stated that if I dont pay by the 28th the acount will be considered 30 days late and a mark will be left on my report.

What are my options? This month was very hard on my family. I was sick in bed most of the month in bed with shivering and in the middle of that my family suffered a devestating tragedy.  I say this to point out that I did not lose any future earnings etc. I just need to get back on track. I LOVE this card and I really dont want to put a negative mark on my report specialy with amex being with them for only 3 months. 

I alrady have things in motion to make sure its paid in 2 weeks form today. Calling amex and speaking to a spuervisor probably is the best option before the due date passes, but any guidence will be greatly appreciate it. 

Besides what @JM427 mentioned, you might be able to request a hardship exception. 

It is hard to say what AmericanExpress is likely to do with your relatively young account by missing a payment or requesting a hardship on the account. 

Communicating and holding true to your agreement are the best options for continuing a relationship with Amex. The late payment from my understanding will haunt your account internally for years ahead, and depending on how late it is it could affect your credit reports too.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 6
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Do you have $20K in available POT limit? If so try and use that, or pay what you can and use the POT for the rest. I also feel like you might have misunderstood something, if your payment is due on the 28th, they can't report you until you are 30 days + past due. You might have a late fee, and you might get some AA from Amex for overspending and not paying the charge card in full, but unless the payment is more than 30 days past the due date, they aren't going to report it as a late/missed to the CRA.

Amex closing the account or clamping your spend limit might very well happen, however.

Definately communicate with Amex as much as possible here, pay it off as soon as you possibly can, in chunks if you have to, and hope for the best.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 4 of 6
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

At 3 months do you qualify for "sign and travel" or "plan it" so that you don't have to pay in full.

If not, do you have other credit lines you can tap to do a balance transfer, or do you have a personal line of credit.

If not, can you open new credit cards now and use their 0% balance transfer offers or even if not 0%, still use it so you wont have a mark on your credit report. Basically find the funds somehow to pay the amex charge, at least the min balance. Or if you have friends / family who can lend  help you out. Like if I were your friend/family I can help, whether it is cash on hand or I can tap my personal credit lines for you, I have $25K with PenFed, $20K with another credit union, line of credit with US Bank, and a few other lines of credit. Also some of my credit cards have 0% balance transfer offers so I can send those fund to someone else's credit card number as it doesnt have to transfer to an account in my name. So you can look into these options on your own or if you know people with cash/lines of credit/BT offers on their credit cards and they can help, ask them. 

Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree with the advice above, proactive communication with AMEX will be helpful if you end up missing the payment, also I'd look into the POT option if it's available.

I'm sure you know this, but going forward it will help you to have a few months of emergency savings set aside for unexpected situations such as this.   Hope that it works out and that you and your family have better months ahead. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.