Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I made a HUGE mistake

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I made a HUGE mistake

I have been trying to clean up my credit and pulled my reports last week. A friend has been giving my advice and she said that I should dispute (online) the items that were not mine but belonged to my ex husband. Things like bounced checks he wrote on a joint account ( I didnt even know he had these till last week) and medical bills he was supposed to take care of. So i disputed 5 items yesterday on Experian's online dispute. I simply stated Not mine on five of the items and then there is a judgement for 5000 showing on there which was ours jointly that shows a balance of 5000 which was paid. I sent a dispute to add in there that it was paid. 

My question is how much damage have I done to myself by doing this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: I think I made a HUGE mistake

You aren't really doing any damage. They will take a look at it and decided if your claims are legit or not. If they are, they will delete. If they aren't they will stay. The worst thing that can happen is your account gets flagged as a frivolous disputer.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick reply. As I was reading these forums I realized that doing that was not the best thing. I just hate having his bad stuff on my report. I have enough of my own bad stuff I am trying to take care of as it is. 

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been trying to clean up my credit and pulled my reports last week. A friend has been giving my advice and she said that I should dispute (online) the items that were not mine but belonged to my ex husband. Things like bounced checks he wrote on a joint account ( I didnt even know he had these till last week) and medical bills he was supposed to take care of. So i disputed 5 items yesterday on Experian's online dispute. I simply stated Not mine on five of the items and then there is a judgement for 5000 showing on there which was ours jointly that shows a balance of 5000 which was paid. I sent a dispute to add in there that it was paid. 

My question is how much damage have I done to myself by doing this?

Don't be suprised if they do come back verified.  If you were legally married and/or shared a joint account, both of you can be held equally liable for the bounced checks.    Same with the medical.  If you are married it can show on both of your reports, no matter who held the insurance.

With all of them, the checks, medical and judgment, if they get verified as correctly reporting, it may damage your score by updating to look as though each are newer accounts.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sure hope that does not happen. Is there anything I can do if that happens

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Not with the CRA.  You may be able to contact the OC and tell them, though you did not write the checks or was even aware of them, out of compromise, you will pay them if they will delete them from your CR.  Could also work with a CA but do it in writing, CMRRR.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You also may want to talk to your divorce lawyer, if any of the debt was accrued after your divorce.  It may stipulate, even though a joint account might still legally have been in effect after divorce, that assumption of any additional debt on the account after date xx/xx/xxxx may be his sole responsibility.  This is a civil, and not redit reporting matter, at this point, but if you can first establish that the debt was not, in fact, legally yours, you might be able to go back and get CRA deletion at a later time.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.