cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was added as an authorized user on my mom’s Bank of America card and got a hard pull on my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was added as an authorized user on my mom’s Bank of America card and got a hard pull on my credit?

My mom wanted to add me as an authorized user on her credit card. She called Bank of America and the representative had her three-way call me. The representative kept calling me a "co-applicant" and collected my address, social security number, job and income information, and how much I pay for rent. When I checked my credit score later, I had a hard pull from Bank of America. From what I read online, becoming an authorized user doesn't require a credit check. Why did Bank of America do a hard pull on me?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I was added as an authorized user on my mom’s Bank of America card and got a hard pull on my cre

I personally have not heard of this before, so I'm looking forward to the responses.

Was this a new CC account, or one she's had a while already?  The term "applicant" makes it sound new, but I may be interpreting what you said incorrectly.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I was added as an authorized user on my mom’s Bank of America card and got a hard pull on my cre

It is an existing card. My mom called earlier in the day and they said all they needed was my phone number to make me an authorized user. She called back later to give them my social security number so I could benefit from her credit account and the representative made her call me and provide all this information. As I think about it and how she called me a "co-applicant," I am worried she signed me up for a new credit card instead of making me an authorized user.

Message 3 of 10
grower1
Frequent Contributor

This happened to me in the past with Chase. My spouse added me to his card and they did a hard pull without him knowing which dropped my score. 

Message 4 of 10
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

From the HP, all of the info they asked for, and the fact that they kept calling you a "co-applicant", it sounds like they added you joint on the account, rather than as an AU.  I don't have any experience w/ BoA, tho, so I don't know what their usual AU procedures are.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grower1 wrote:

This happened to me in the past with Chase. My spouse added me to his card and they did a hard pull without him knowing which dropped my score. 

Sounds this this has happened to others then across multiple lenders.  Not cool. 

Message 6 of 10
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous Sounds to me like you've been added as a Co-Applicant. I have added my Grandson to my Cc and all I supplied was name and address and this was done a month ago! You might want to double check with your mom!!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think maybe your mom asked about adding you and they made you a co applicant instead of an AU.  I have never dealt with them.  Maybe they don't do AUs.

Message 8 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

On the positive side, you will inherit the history; as long as if that account has a decent reported utilization, age, no delinquency and a decent credit line.

Message 9 of 10
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

On the positive side, you will inherit the history; as long as if that account has a decent reported utilization, age, no delinquency and a decent credit line.

+100000000000000000000000

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.