Did you mean: 

INSANE Credit Card Debt = Need Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

INSANE Credit Card Debt = Need Advice?

Stats:

- Age 22

- 78% utilization throughout 7 credit cards (4 which are maxed out)  / $38,154 out of $48,700 available credit 

- AAoA of 2 years, 4 month / No missed payments or collections

- 2 hard inquiries from Dec 2016 

- Credit Karma states FICO scores of 586, 587. 

Hey everyone, I never thought I would have to be making this post. I came here many years ago and that's what helped me get started on my credit journey. I had a good paying job at the time and suddenly lost that about a year and a half ago when I moved to another state due to my mother having breast cancer. Over that time, I became reckless with my money, taking expensive international vacations, unnecessary vehicle upgrades, buying high end technology; basically using my credit card like it was cash on hand. I thought to myself, "Oh screw it, I'll just keep doing balance transfers with no interest and pay it all off when I have a good job in the future. There are people with $90k in student debt my age, what's so bad about being $35k in debt myself?"

^ That was my immature mentality that I am now suffering from. Now, I found a decent job (where I live) that's giving me close to $1,600 a month. I have no other financial responsibilities other than my credit cards, which most have now kicked in at 20% APR. The payments on those are literally 80% of my monthly pay.  I know if I apply for another card (sole purpose of no interest for xx months), that I would most likely be denied due to high utilization. I am in a financial bind here from irresponsibility and I am wanting to get my finances on point while I can. 

So please help me here, FICO'ers. What is the best route I should take now? Debt consolidation? Personal loan? If so, which companies are best? 

Thank you all kindly very much.  

- Derrick 

Message 1 of 67
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: INSANE Credit Card Debt = Need Advice?

Do you live in or near a big city where you could drive Uber/lyft as a second job? My understanding is that those guys can make over $20/hr
Message 2 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

My vehicle is a coupe, it wouldn't work haha. But thank you. 

Message 3 of 67
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you live in or near a big city where you could drive Uber/lyft as a second job? My understanding is that those guys can make over $20/hr

+1

You are young take on an additional job that you can squeeze in and grind it out.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about a debt consolidation loan? Since I'm paying close to $600 a month just in interest? 

Message 5 of 67
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What about a debt consolidation loan?

Highly unlikely w/ current income level.  I'd be working day and night if I were you.

Nothing is easy.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to pay the money to get your actual FICOs. Your credit might not be as bad as you think it is. I know my FAKO TU is almost 70 points lower than my actual TU score. You might have good enough credit to get a debt consolidation loan from a CU like PenFed. One of your scores might be higher than the others and you could look for lenders that pull that score. PenFed for example pulls a FICO 9 (which you can get from myFICO) from EQ. NFCU pulls TU.

If you can’t get a debt consolidation loan, there are companies that can get 0% interest on your CC debt, but I’m pretty sure going that route hurts your credit.
Message 7 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says on Discover: Your FICO® Score 8 based on TransUnion® data: 660

American Express says: Your FICO® Score 8 based on Experian data: 660; March 31, 2018 

Message 8 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like a debt consolidation loan where there are no origination fees and... Does PenFed require a membership with a hard inquiry, I read somewhere? That was one of the organizations I was thinking about. What are the others? 

Message 9 of 67
Kforce
Valued Contributor

No need to pay money and get real scores at this time. They will look equally bad.

As others have said it is important to pay as much as you can as fast as you can.

This will save you a lot of money, and let you get back on your feet as soon as possible.

Peanut butter & jelly, no eating out, overtime, etc. It will be hard but look at what you can save if you suffer for a short time.

Some numbers to show how more now saves later.

38154 @ 20% interest

Monthly Payment      Years           Interest lost $

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1420                                  3                     12,900

1160                                  4                     17,500

1010                                  5                      22,500

914                                     6                     27,600

850                                     7                     33,000

1420/month compared to 850/month saves $20,000

Message 10 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.