cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I use my cards, then pay them off in full before the statement, is that bad?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I use my cards, then pay them off in full before the statement, is that bad?

By this I mean that I use all my cards regularly, but I pay them off immediately, and try to stay at 0% utilization. I’ve asked all my card issuers, and they have told me they report a 0 balance, but I’m wondering if this will hurt me like how not using a card would. I very actively use my cards and plan out when to pay them so I get them payed off through the app before the report date
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: If I use my cards, then pay them off in full before the statement, is that bad?

Everything depends on your goals, but having 0% utilization is mostly a really good thing with most credit score models.  

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If I use my cards, then pay them off in full before the statement, is that bad?

Okay, thank you. I’ve just seen a lot online about how having a zero balance can hurt you, or even potentially get your accounts closed.

I use my cards and pay them off as soon as the transaction clears/posts, but I’ve just been worried it will negatively effect me because my statements always come up as $0 owed.
Message 3 of 14
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Just swiping the cards will keep them from getting closed.  Credit card companies are very happy with those swipe fees.  

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! I’ve been worrying about this all month. I’m new to credit cards, but am fascinated by everything about them. I just don’t want to hurt myself unknowingly and limit myself for the future.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
By this I mean that I use all my cards regularly, but I pay them off immediately, and try to stay at 0% utilization. I’ve asked all my card issuers, and they have told me they report a 0 balance, but I’m wondering if this will hurt me like how not using a card would. I very actively use my cards and plan out when to pay them so I get them payed off through the app before the report date

It depends on what your goals are.  If you want to not have revolving debt, paying your credit cards off before their Statement Close/Reporting dates is a sound strategy.  However, there's a cost to that strategy as I'll explain below:

1.  The first "cost" is the impact of your strategy on your FICO score.  Not having any cards reporting balances to the credit bureaus will lower your FICO scores by roughly 20 points since it would appear to the scoring algorithm that you do not use any credit.  A better strategy is to allow one card to report a small balance, then pay off that balance before the Payment Due date so no interest is incurred.  This technique is referred to in these forums as AZEO or All Zero Except One.

2.  Secondly, not allowing any cards to report balances to the credit bureaus can negatively impact you when applying for additional credit cards or increasing your current credit limits.  Each lender keeps their own internal records so they will know how much you are using their cards.  But other lenders don't have access to that information and rely on what is on your credit report(s).  If your credit reports show no balances, a lender might assume that you aren't utilizing your current credit and could be reluctant to grant you new credit, or an increase in credit limits.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so should I make a $1-$2 charge on my It card and wait until it reports, then pay it off?

I was planning on doing this when my Chase card arrives, but I know Discover reports on the 11th/12th, and FNBO reports between the 12th and the 16th.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, so should I make a $1-$2 charge on my It card and wait until it reports, then pay it off?

I was planning on doing this when my Chase card arrives, but I know Discover reports on the 11th/12th, and FNBO reports between the 12th and the 16th.

No you shouldn't make a charge to your cards just for the sake of making one.

What you can do is pay down your current balance to about $5 to $10 before the Statement Close date, which would allow a small balance to report to the credit bureau.  Once it reports, you pay off that balance before the Payment Due date so as not to incur any interest charges.

With a few exceptions, banks tend to report to the credit bureaus on the Statement Close date shown on your statement.  You can also find out the date they report by examining your credit reports.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thank you!

P.S. Go Blue!
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay, thank you!

P.S. Go Blue!

Smiley Happy  Go Blue!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.