Did you mean: 

Impact on credit score by paying charge off CO

tag
TC1212
Regular Contributor

Impact on credit score by paying charge off CO

Happy Friday.

Two questions:

1. I'm trying to determine the impact to my scores if I pay off an outstanding charge off to USAA. The amount is $2280. Acct closed in 2015. Reporting negative every month. Due to fall off April 2021. I do want to eventually pay them because I would like to possibly use them for auto insurance or other things in the future. Should I pay now, and will it lower my score?

2. How likely would NavyFCU approve me for an auto loan with this outstanding balance to another credit union?

Credit Karma scores are 533 Tran and 535 EXperian FICO 8 is 568.

I have a Navy LOC that I'm planning to get to 27% before the end of the month (limit is 7k, balance 5230).

April sold home. Tons of late payments and paid off car in May, again tons of late payments.

I have 2 Capital One CCs - 2800 and 400 limit. The 400 is already at zero and I just paid the balance of 697 on the 2800 down to zero.

The only other installment account is a student loan.

One collection with Enhanced Recovery that I paid off. They removed from Experian, but not Equifax. Was $288.

DTI is 11%.

Thanks in advance for any input.C5C07E2B-DD07-4976-98A5-515990A09BAC.jpeg

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Impact on credit score by paying charge off CO

Hello, 

I know Pre Covid-19 USAA was asking for 50% to settle debts no matter the age. Not sure if they are willing to take lower with the current events. But once it get a 0 balance, and they stop reporting your score will begin to increase. I would love to know what they tell you as far as paying it off goes, keep us posted.

I have received a navy federal auto loan with two charge offs before. You will get dinged points for have two 0 balanced credit cards, have one report a small balance of like $5 for optimal scoring. 

Message 2 of 15
TC1212
Regular Contributor

Thank you .

I thought I read that the CLOC reported the same as credit cards? The $697 payment hasn't been reported yet so I can make a $20 charge. It won't report again until July 1st., 

I am okay with paying the full amount to USAA because I think I will need to in order to use them in the future. I haven't called them.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TC1212 wrote:

Thank you .

I thought I read that the CLOC reported the same as credit cards? The $697 payment hasn't been reported yet so I can make a $20 charge. It won't report again until July 1st., 

I am okay with paying the full amount to USAA because I think I will need to in order to use them in the future. I haven't called them.

I'm not too familiar with what type of loans CLOC are so I'm sure the experts will chime in. As far as USAA, my gf has two chargeoffs that are both due to fall off in April 2021 but she still has insurance with them with no problems. But IMHO USAA insurance isn't what it use to be and I think you can get better rates elsewhere.

Message 4 of 15
TC1212
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous 

I've heard that quite a few times now about their insurance. When I had it about 8 years ago the rates were amazing. 

I will go ahead and charge $10 on my card now.

Enjoy your weekend.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely take care of the chargeoff as soon as possible because as mentioned it continues to suppress your scores until you do so, especially since it’s reporting regularly.

Do a goodwill campaign to get the collection removed off of Experian.

Welcome to the forums!
Message 6 of 15
TC1212
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous @Thank you. I wrote the goodwill letter yesterday.  Will pay off the account in mid-July.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you may have to do it over and over and over and over and over again; don’t give up, have thick skin.

Message 8 of 15
TC1212
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous  Thank you. Definitely will send lots of letters.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TC1212 I definitely would follow @Anonymous  advice he seems to be the Goto credit wiseman Smiley Happy.  I saw someone post welcome to the forum that may mean your new.  Welcome to you.  Being new around here myself I find birdman gives solid advice.  

As for getting an account with USAA it may be a challenge to get in if you owe a active debt with them and no active products.  I am a long time client and had one bad debt and could not open a checking with them until the debt stopped reporting.  That's with other active good products for almost 17 yrs at the time.  It may be different now it was a couple years ago.  You could call and ask for a quote.  They can tell you then if are eligible or not.

i think the advice would be the same with NFCU.  You can get approved with COs but I do think it's type and age matter.  The good news is because you have a credit product with them your internal score may help there decision since you have history with the CLOC.  No promises and always remember the views expressed etc etc.  YMMV

In the end while you may have a chance if you did nothing right away to foster a positive outcome and get your scores moving in the right direction would be to pay it off.  1-1.5 years is a lifetime in the credit world.

Good Luck

Good Luck

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.