Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving an already good score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Improving an already good score

So I find lots of info about how to improve my score if I have troubled history but how can a person with good credit make it better?

Lets say I have no potentially negative items, a relatively small mortgage with perfect payment history, and an auto loan also with a perfect history. Iets say I have 6 revolving credit lines with low utilization and all but one are seasoned five years or more, all have a perfect payment history. lets also say 6 hard credit inquiries, ranging from 6 months old to almost two years old.

What could this person do? Is a perfect credit score even possible? If not what is actually attainable? Sorry for what may seem like a silly question to some, but just because you are doing well does not mean you cant do better.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Improving an already good score

@Anonymous wrote:

So I find lots of info about how to improve my score if I have troubled history but how can a person with good credit make it better?

Lets say I have no potentially negative items, a relatively small mortgage with perfect payment history, and an auto loan also with a perfect history. Iets say I have 6 revolving credit lines with low utilization and all but one are seasoned five years or more, all have a perfect payment history. lets also say 6 hard credit inquiries, ranging from 6 months old to almost two years old.

What could this person do? Is a perfect credit score even possible? If not what is actually attainable? Sorry for what may seem like a silly question to some, but just because you are doing well does not mean you cant do better.

I've seen people with scores well into the 800s....or at least they claimed so Smiley Tongue 

Eventually you get to a point where you could just be approved for everything. 

Your score (or whoever this person is in your post Smiley Tongue ) will jump up a little bit after all of those inqs are at least 1 year old (they will report for 2 years, but only affect scoring for the first year)

Message 2 of 9
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes in the world of credit, time is the only answer. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 9
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

My wifehas a score in the 800's, never a mortage, only one car loan. The balance of her file is long term opened credit cards with never a late payment. My step son has an 817, two car loans only, no credit cards or mortage.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 9
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Yes, someone on these forums actually posted a screenshot of their perfect 850 score. Scores do however change and they only held that score for that pull.

The only thing you can do in your situation is to groom your utilization. Utilization plays a huge role in your credit score, more so the higher your score. You really only need to do this for 2 reasons:

1. You are planning on applying for new credit in the near future. (30 to 60 days)

2.You want to see exactly how high your scores can get and have bragging rights on these forums.

This is what you need to do:

Have 1 credit card report less than 9% of the total of all your credit cards' credit limits and all the rest of your cards report a zero balance.Depending on the person, the highest score might be any of the percentages from 1% to 9%. Some people might get their highest score with 2% reporting, others at 7%.

If all your cards are reporting a zero balance every month your score is not maximized. This method has been proven time and again on these forums.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 5 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

When you get to the point where you can be approved for anything; its very hard to limit your applications so that you are only applying for what you "need"
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So my score just wont stay over 800, it hovers near there but never more than a few points over. I may be looking to make a major purchase in the next few months, so maximizing the score would be beneficial. My utilization is low, I use a couple of credit cards but always pay the balance in full at the end of the billing cycle. Half of the hard credit inquiries will drop off next month. Is it possible that refinancing my home last year hurt my score because it's now a shorter time open account? I am very careful not to open or accept offers of new credit just because I can get approved. In fact if it would not be detrimental to my credit I would like to close several very seasoned credit accounts that I just don't use or need.

I do appreciate the knowledge shared here

Message 7 of 9
jamie123
Valued Contributor

You have nothing to worry about!

You will get the best rates with most lenders with a score of 760. A score of 780 would guarantee you the best rates with ANY lender.

How long is your average age of accounts? That might be one factor holding you back a bit. If I remember correctly the poster with the perfect score had a AAoA that was 20 years or more. You want to make sure you keep all the credit cards you have now open so your AAoA grows.

What type of major purchase do you have in mind?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@AZHeather wrote:

Sometimes in the world of credit, time is the only answer. Smiley Wink

+1   Truer words were never spoken.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.