Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry from Cash Central that I did not initiate

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Inquiry from Cash Central that I did not initiate

I'm hoping someone can help enlighten me.

I was looking at my credit reports and found an inquiry from CASH CENTRAL on my Experian report.  I have never done business with this company before so I contacted Experian, thinking it might be identity theft or something.  The person I spoke with looked up something and said it was a legitimate inquiry and that I should contact the company.

Before calling CASH CENTRAL, I did a little research and it appears that they are a payday lender, and perhaps offer some sort of private loans as well.  I called and spoke with a representative and they told me they got a request from a lead provider or something like that, and that it was a legitimate inquiry.  I told him, no, I never initiated such an inquiry, but stopped speaking with him when it was clear he was an idiot reading off some script and didn't really understand what I was talking about.  He said I should expect a letter in the mail.

I received the letter today and basically it regurgitates the same thing.  To quote "Under the terms of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Cash Central can obtain credit report information regarding customers when (1) the credit report information was pulled in connection with a credit transaction involving the customer and a request for an extension of credit, and (2) Cash Central otherwise had a legitimate business need for the information."

I understand #1, but #2 sounds like complete BS.  Am I missing something here?  How can they initiate a credit inquiry on my based on a request from a Lead Provider (whatever that is)?  I'm trying to decide how I should proceed.  Should I continue complaining to Cash Central, complain to Experian, complain to CFPB or complain to the FBI or something.  I just don't see how this could be legitimate.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Inquiry from Cash Central that I did not initiate

Sure it was'nt a Soft Pull?    If not I would dispute the heck out of it.

Message 2 of 21
happypill
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

Sure it was'nt a Soft Pull?    If not I would dispute the heck out of it.

It was definitely not a soft pull and they acknowledged as much when I called.  That's part of the script that they read.

Yes, I'm definitely going to dispute the heck out of it, but with who?  It seems pretty clear that the company will not be cooperative and that they have trainted their CSRs to read scripts and send out form letters for this exact issue (meaning, it probalby comes up a lot).

The question is, is what they are doing even legal?  Beyond getting the inquiry removed from my report, should someone (CFPB, FBI, or whatever I don't know that's why I'm asking) lookin into this company and this practice?

Message 3 of 21
elim
Senior Contributor

I just read a ripoff report of them telling customers "we don't HP" only to have one show up on their reports.

How old is it?

Message 4 of 21
happypill
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

I just read a ripoff report of them telling customers "we don't HP" only to have one show up on their reports.

How old is it?

It's a couple of months old, but thing is, I never dealt with them or asked for any credit from them before the inquiry.  Their letter specificaly states (and their CSR said the exact same thing without even looking up my information), that they initiated an inquiry based on information forwarded by a Lead Provider (capitalized just like it is in their letter).

This isn't them promising to SP only to HP later.  I never dealt with them or even heard of them!  They pulled my credit without my consent.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you apply for auto financing, mortgage, or one of those online lending programs? That's the only thing I can think of. If not then I would put in a dispute or see who the lead is.
Message 6 of 21
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

OK... let's just boil it down.  No,,, in no way did they have any right to pull your CR if you have no business relationship or are not seeking a business relationship with them.  Do a direct dispute with them and request specifically who this "Lead" was.  If they do not respond, take them to small claims court.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 21
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

OK... let's just boil it down.  No,,, in no way did they have any right to pull your CR if you have no business relationship or are not seeking a business relationship with them.  Do a direct dispute with them and request specifically who this "Lead" was.  If they do not respond, take them to small claims court.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking.  My sense is that they won't be cooperative, but I'll update as I find out more.  Thanks for your replies.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW! Did you run across them on some website and they picked you up in passing by?
Message 9 of 21
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Spider15 wrote:
WOW! Did you run across them on some website and they picked you up in passing by?

No, never heard of them before seeing the inquiry on my credit report.  There's no indication that I did anything to initiate any contact with them, nor are they suggesting I did anything.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.