Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiry questions

Back in August  (seventh to be exact) of last year I applied online to see what I would qualify for a car loan through some internet ad. Unfortunately, several companies ran inquiries without my permission now I have four additional inquiries. Again, I didn't apply with these companies individually. My question is can I call these companies to ask them to remove the inquiry. The CB won't let me dispute them. Thanks

Inquiries.PNG

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inquiry questions

I would either dispute by letter to the credit bureau or call them.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you initiated a request for credit, that gives permissible purpose to obtain your credit report without any express authorization by the consumer.  FCRA 604.

It is not necessary that the specific potential creditor be identified in your request.  It is long-standing practice, particularly in the auto lending business, for a permissible purpose to permit shopping for the best rate.  If coded properly as an auto-related inquiry, the multiple inquiries are all considered by FICO as a single inquiry for scoring purposes if made within a certain window of time.

The issue of whether the inquiries are legitimate is whether or not you initiated a request for credit.

You could request the creditors to recode their inquiries as soft.......

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

If you initiated a request for credit, that gives permissible purpose to obtain your credit report without any express authorization by the consumer.  FCRA 604.

It is not necessary that the specific potential creditor be identified in your request.  It is long-standing practice, particularly in the auto lending business, for a permissible purpose to permit shopping for the best rate.  If coded properly as an auto-related inquiry, the multiple inquiries are all considered by FICO as a single inquiry for scoring purposes if made within a certain window of time.

The issue of whether the inquiries are legitimate is whether or not you initiated a request for credit.

You could request the creditors to recode their inquiries as soft.......

FICO would be considered as single inquiry but as far as other credit companies are concerned they see multiple inquiries during a short time frame. Doesn't make me happy at all to see this. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly your score won't be affected but the next lender will go holy crap 7 to 10 days letter
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.