Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry removal from simply asking CRA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiry removal from simply asking CRA?

Using the search feature I'm not coming up with what I'm looking for, so I figured I start a thread.  I know in the past I've read about forum members here calling up a CRA and simply asking for the removal of an inquiry and some have reported the CSR saying "ok" and just doing it.  That seems kind of crazy to me, but if anyone has done something like this and is willing to describe the experience it would be cool.  I'm not talking about disputing an inquiry or anything of that nature.  I'm talking a legitimate inquiry that should indeed be there that someone asks a CRA to remove from their report and they just go ahead and do it on the spot for whatever reason.  I assume that CRAs aren't supposed to do this, so perhaps they are just uninformed CSRs that do these things?  Thanks for any info here!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inquiry removal from simply asking CRA?

I don't have an answer to your question, however, I am interested in this as well if anyone has any insight.

Message 2 of 10
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Equifax used to remove inquiries over the phone. But now, they're the most stingy bureau when it comes to keeping inquiries in place... even when they're not legit.

They're all requiring some kind of fraud basis, at this point.

But, it's definitely possible that there are still a few reps that would go against protocols.

But, it's less and less likely that you'll run into a rep that can even override the systems that the bureaus now have in place.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone has had an inquiry removed simply by asking through a phone call to a CRA, please chime and and let us know how it went!

Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

CRAs have legal reason, once they have disclosed a consumer's personal credit information by filling a credit inquiry, to retain record of that fact in their files.  They have, for example, obligation to provide records of prior inquiries if requested, and could become involved in civil action if disclosure of information becomes an issue, such as assertions of lack of permissible purpose or of fraudulently making an inquiry.

A standard CRA response, repeatedly reproduced here in the forum, is that they view the sending of a credit report as a factual matter once completed, meaning the toothpaste is out of the tube, and they cannot simply delete that fact from thier files unless there was some clearly improper sending of the report, such as showing of fraud or lack of permissible purpose.

I know of no instance where a CRA has granted a good-will deletion of a legit credit inquiry.

If removal is your goal, then a better approach would be to pursue a request to the inquiree to recode the inquiry as soft.

Message 5 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

^ Quite true

I had a somehwat legit INQ from PenFed on EQ that PenFed agreed to have deleted and sent a letter to Equifax requesting such. I thought it had been deleted because reports longer listed a hard inquiry (HP) associated with it and my HP count dropped from 2 to 1. However, when I pulled an actual credit report from EQ (it lists soft inquiries), I saw the inquiry there.

PenFed did actually inquire so EQ said it could not be removed. However, it was re-coded.

Long story short - I had started an application for membership at PenFed to open a checking account but did not complete the application when I realized it would involve a hard inquiry. Failure to complete & submit application meant no authorization for HP. PenFed agreed that no authorization had been given for the HP.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG

I know of no instance where a CRA has granted a good-will deletion of a legit credit inquiry.

Robert, I know for certain that there are individuals on this forum that have started threads saying that they got hard inquiries removed simply from calling up the CRA and requesting their removal.  I know this shouldn't be the case, but that's what I've read on here.  I remember there was one thread where a member said he had a bunch of them removed, I want to say around 10 or so.  He said all he did was "ask" and the CSR made the deletions quickly.  I don't recall the CRAs that were contacted or anything at this point and will do some more research later on when I have time.  I know it sounds crazy, but unless these several members were flat out lying (anything is possible) the removal of HPs upon CRA request has definitely happened more than once.

Message 7 of 10
Miner
Frequent Contributor

I've read on these forums about people calling up and having the extra HPs removed from the same lender where they are all from within a 30 day period removed, leaving just one.  Justification being they are needless extra ones that served no valid purpose since they already had the information they needed.  I believe it was just 1 CRA doing it, not all.  However, I've never read about someone getting an inquiry removed just because.  Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads?

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I can find an old thread or two I'll be sure to link it/them here.  The search function on here isn't the greatest as we all know...

Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Perhaps the CRA found the inquiries improper, or perhaps they were only re-coded as soft, thus removing them from credit reports provided to others, but not actually deleting them from their files.

It would be perilous for a CRA to subjectively delete record of their having provided credit histories of consumers to others, as there are strict legal controls over such disclosures, and deletion of that fact from their files would prevent them from responding to any discovery orders should they become involved in litigation.

However, CRAs have done stranger things........

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.