Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment loan to pay off CC

tag
popmedic
New Visitor

Installment loan to pay off CC

Hello,

I recently tried to pay off a large amount of my debt without looking at the forums first (big mistake), I made large payments to three of my Citi credit cards and a week later I received a letter in the mail from Citi stating they reduced my credit limits the exact same amount of my payments ultimately keeping my credit utilization at the same level. I'm working to pay these down so I can refinance my home at a better rate but ended up not gaining a thing other than a lower debt load which in the long run is a good thing.

My question is this: If I take out a personal installment loan to pay these down further will that help my score? My thinking is that by opening an installment loan will increase my available credit and taking that money and reducing my cc debt would increase my utilization. I'm of course assuming that cc debt way more than installment?

Thoughts?? BTW, I have recently received a promotion at work so the affordability is not an issue, just need a quick fix to refinance before the rates start to climb to far.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Installment loan to pay off CC

What is your current util? when are you thinking of refinancing? 

Message 2 of 4
popmedic
New Visitor

Current Utilization is 80% and i was hoping to do something by the end of Jan..

Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@popmedic wrote:

Current Utilization is 80% and i was hoping to do something by the end of Jan..

How much of that 80% would you be paying off? All or some? 

Edit:  just realized you were planning to refi in Jan.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.