cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is creditor required to offer Death benefits on installment loan

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Is creditor required to offer Death benefits on installment loan

Typically on a installment loan, the form has a place to add disability insurance or death insurance. A friend had a creditor tell him US Bank did not provide that. It causes me to wonder whether that is a standardized form or whether a creditor is required to offer that or, if not, what the best method to obtain it would be.

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.+1,+2,+2(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19. Since then, 5 HP dings to add; will update again.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Established Contributor

Re: Is creditor required to offer Death benefits on installment loan

Credit insurance or death benefits are not legally required.  When offered they almost always involve an additional payment.  It is a predatory product.  If you were really worried about the possible $10,000 balance on a loan or credit card at the time or your death you could more easily cover than with a very cheap term life insurance policy. Many CU offer a minimal life insurance policy for free to customers.  I think I have one for 3K.

Message 2 of 5
Valued Contributor

@rbently: Thank you for responding good to hear from you again. I’m aware one is not legally required to have said insurance. However, my query is whether or not a creditor is legally required to make it available for purchase to an installment debtor. I’m asking for a friend and your advice may be right on point and exactly what we needed to hear. Thank you.

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.+1,+2,+2(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19. Since then, 5 HP dings to add; will update again.
Message 3 of 5
Established Contributor

@Birdman7 wrote:
@rbently: Thank you for responding good to hear from you again. I’m aware one is not legally required to have said insurance. However, my query is whether or not a creditor is legally required to make it available for purchase to an installment debtor. I’m asking for a friend and your advice may be right on point and exactly what we needed to hear. Thank you.

No, there is no legal requirment that a creditor make loan/credit insurance available.  The ones that do offer it because it is an additional profit center for them.  I always decline it.

Message 4 of 5

As mentioned above OP, there is no legal mandate (Federal, State, etc.) that requires financial institutions to participate or offer such a service or benefit. It is an optional product that a variety of FIs have, but not all of them offer it.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.