Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is creditor required to offer Death benefits on installment loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is creditor required to offer Death benefits on installment loan

Typically on a installment loan, the form has a place to add disability insurance or death insurance. A friend had a creditor tell him US Bank did not provide that. It causes me to wonder whether that is a standardized form or whether a creditor is required to offer that or, if not, what the best method to obtain it would be.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rbentley
Established Contributor

Re: Is creditor required to offer Death benefits on installment loan

Credit insurance or death benefits are not legally required.  When offered they almost always involve an additional payment.  It is a predatory product.  If you were really worried about the possible $10,000 balance on a loan or credit card at the time or your death you could more easily cover than with a very cheap term life insurance policy. Many CU offer a minimal life insurance policy for free to customers.  I think I have one for 3K.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rbently: Thank you for responding good to hear from you again. I’m aware one is not legally required to have said insurance. However, my query is whether or not a creditor is legally required to make it available for purchase to an installment debtor. I’m asking for a friend and your advice may be right on point and exactly what we needed to hear. Thank you.
Message 3 of 5
rbentley
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@rbently: Thank you for responding good to hear from you again. I’m aware one is not legally required to have said insurance. However, my query is whether or not a creditor is legally required to make it available for purchase to an installment debtor. I’m asking for a friend and your advice may be right on point and exactly what we needed to hear. Thank you.

No, there is no legal requirment that a creditor make loan/credit insurance available.  The ones that do offer it because it is an additional profit center for them.  I always decline it.

Message 4 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned above OP, there is no legal mandate (Federal, State, etc.) that requires financial institutions to participate or offer such a service or benefit. It is an optional product that a variety of FIs have, but not all of them offer it.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.