cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to maintain a small balance on credit cards?

tag
Mad12345
Regular Contributor

Re: Is it better to maintain a small balance on credit cards?

Cap

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@Mad12345 wrote:

I have 2 prepaid and 5 others. Thank you for your reply. I am trying to rebuild after bankruptcy, but i didn't really have a good understanding of how to use/build credit before. I have seen some very good info on this site. 

So of those 7 cards, 2 are prepaid? What are the other 5 cards? Are they store cards? Bank cards? Major credit cards? It's important that the one card you allow to report a balance is a major credit card or bank card. This will give you the best scores. Of course it's ok to use your cards as usual and pay them as needed. Scores can change month to month. What are you scores now?

My chapter 13 was discharged last June. My FICO 8 for EXP-695  EQF-678  TU-661. I have a Capital One card ($750 cl), Credit One card (1000 cl), First Premier card ($750 cl), Target red card ($300 cl), and CFNA tires plus ($2400 cl). The only one I have a balance on is first Premier. They charge an $8 per month fee that shows up after they report. i pay it as soon as I see it.
Message 11 of 14
Mad12345
Regular Contributor

@Mad12345 wrote:

Cap

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@Mad12345 wrote:

I have 2 prepaid and 5 others. Thank you for your reply. I am trying to rebuild after bankruptcy, but i didn't really have a good understanding of how to use/build credit before. I have seen some very good info on this site. 

So of those 7 cards, 2 are prepaid? What are the other 5 cards? Are they store cards? Bank cards? Major credit cards? It's important that the one card you allow to report a balance is a major credit card or bank card. This will give you the best scores. Of course it's ok to use your cards as usual and pay them as needed. Scores can change month to month. What are you scores now?

My chapter 13 was discharged last June. My FICO 8 for EXP-695  EQF-678  TU-661. I have a Capital One card ($750 cl), Credit One card ( $

@Mad12345 wrote:

Cap

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@Mad12345 wrote:

My chapter 13 was discharged last June. My FICO 8 for EXP-695  EQF-678  TU-661. I have a Capital One card ($750 cl), Credit One card (1000 cl), First Premier card ($750 cl), Target red card ($300 cl), and CFNA tires plus ($2400 cl). The only one I have a balance on is first Premier. They charge an $8 per month fee that shows up after they report. i pay it as soon as I see it.

1000 cl), First Premier card ($750 cl), Target red card ($300 cl), and CFNA tires plus ($2400 cl). The only one I have a balance on is first Premier. They charge an $8 per month fee that shows up after they report. Ipay it as soon as I see it.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mad12345 I don't carry a balance on my Cap1 but i know they always report around the same date so i carry a balance until then, then pay off before statement closes. If they are too close together, you can change the due dates.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mad12345 If you’re new and you need to learn, you need to follow @AllZero ‘s advice. Read the Scoring Primer. It’s also linked at the top of my signature.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.