cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it really possible to go from $0 to $200,000 in credit in 2 years?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Is it really possible to go from $0 to $200,000 in credit in 2 years?

@blackandgray wrote:

Hi pizza1, is there a thread on this forum detailing how you went about obtaining that much credit?

ohhh, there are so many threads...soooooo many, LOL!!!  

long story short..I was determined, and also did my homework here in the forums first. I have a BK7 from 2013, so I had to start all over again, but I had a long credit history prior to that, showing on my reports. Most of my cards are store cards, and I have 10 major cards. I dont recommend anyone trying what I did..I was lucky in everything I got.  Im much better at giving advice, than taking it Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say 2 years with absolutely no credit could be possible.  Not sure I could have done it!  I went from 5.6k to what you see in my siggy since mid November.  And I still have to hit that luv button on my Amex for another 3x;ci on July 12th.  That would put me just a bit above 200k.  But I had a mtg, auto loan & crappy cc's first.  I would think it might take a thicker file but you never know.

Message 12 of 17
savingmoney87
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@blackandgray wrote:

Hi pizza1, is there a thread on this forum detailing how you went about obtaining that much credit?

She has a really simple approach. Here are the steps:

1. App for everything in sight.

2. Repeat #1 as many times as necessary. 

Smiley LOL

LOL 

]
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@blackandgray wrote:

ohhh, there are so many threads...soooooo many, LOL!!!  

long story short..I was determined, and also did my homework here in the forums first. I have a BK7 from 2013, so I had to start all over again, but I had a long credit history prior to that, showing on my reports. Most of my cards are store cards, and I have 10 major cards. I dont recommend anyone trying what I did..I was lucky in everything I got.  Im much better at giving advice, than taking it Smiley Wink

Yes, without this forum I would have never thought it would be possible and probably would have never thought about it.

Message 14 of 17
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

I would say yes

My AAoA is a little over 2 years right now. but I have data from further.

I believe if I was reporting the income I have now and was aggressive then it would have been possible. I'm currently stress testing how FICO reporting works, and I realize I have been very skittish in the past. All the guides say "don't do too many apps/inquiries" but what is too many? I thought having 1, 2 or 3 were the limit, before I noticed a 8 point drop in my credit score. OMG NOT 8 POINTS, I'LL NEVER REACH 763 WHICH I ANECDOTALLY HEARD WAS GOOD when really the low 700s and high 600s are just as fine in the age of easy credit. You can always renegotiate lower interest rates on cards when your credit # improves.

I was at around $30k credit across all my cards for a while, before I started really stretching my desired CLI #s. Then one time I told Citibank to increase my credit limit to $60,000 and it was immediate. I was totally expecting a second lower offer, in the mail, 10 business days later. 

Sometimes I opened a new card, and got an instant $30,000 . Even with a brand new institution I had no relationship with.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gen-specific wrote:

I would say yes

My AAoA is a little over 2 years right now. but I have data from further.

I believe if I was reporting the income I have now and was aggressive then it would have been possible. I'm currently stress testing how FICO reporting works, and I realize I have been very skittish in the past. Like all the guides so "don't do too many apps" but what is too many? I thought having 1, 2 or 3 were the limit, before I noticed a 8 point drop in my credit score. OMG NOT 8 POINTS, I'LL NEVER REACH 763 WHICH I ANECDOTALLY HEARD WAS GOOD when really the low 700s and high 600s are just as fine in the age of easy credit. You can always renegotiate lower interest rates on cards when your credit # improves.

I was at around $30k credit across all my cards for a while, before I started really stretching my desired CLI #s. Then one time I told Citibank to increase my credit limit to $60,000 and it was immediate. I was totally expecting a second lower offer, in the mail, 10 business days later. 

Sometimes I opened a new card, and got an instant $30,000 . Even with a brand new institution I had no relationship with.

Congrats on your success!  Woman Wink

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES U CAN , I started with a Credit One Card with a $300 limited  Oct 2014 . TODAY  Aug 2015  CL's   $153750  NO STORE CARDS in just 10 months .

THANKS , my FICO Forums

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.