cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it routine for creditors to only report zero balances quarterly?

tag
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Is it routine for creditors to only report zero balances quarterly?

I just read on another thread that Sychrony only reports $0 balances on a qurterly basis, and >$0 monthly.

Is this to be expected from any other creditors?

Thanks.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Is it routine for creditors to only report zero balances quarterly?

No, there may be a delay of up to 60 days for your reports to update, but they have to be reported every month. Chase is the only bank that will report a $0 balance differently, and they update immediately. Synchrony will report a zero balance every month. They have for me.

Message 2 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

I just read on another thread that Sychrony only reports $0 balances on a qurterly basis, and >$0 monthly.

Is this to be expected from any other creditors?

Thanks.

Well,they were mistaken, Synchrony reports balances monthly whether it is a $0 balance or >$0 balance. But at least for my Lowes or Walmart store cards if it is a $0 balance they don't generate a statement, but they do report the $0 balance. I only use my Lowes card a couple times a year and when I look for previous statements the only ones that show up are the months I had a balance. For Walmart it's pretty much impossible to get a $0 balance statement because they generate rewards cashback credits when the statement cuts, but as I recall the months the statement cut with a buck or two credit balance they didn't generate a statement.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's certainly not routine, but I had a card with a zero balance that was reporting about once every 6 months. So it's possible. Nothing forces a lender to report, they report whenever they want. But 99% of them report monthly.

(I have since closed that account, it was an RBC Bank Visa)

Message 4 of 21
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Comenity is probably who you/they are thinking about. Comenity takes a long time to report a zero balance. I was able to speed up the reporting by requesting a zero balance letter.

Synchrony has reported a zero balance for me following a statement with a zero balance (all 15 accounts I have with them in my experience).
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 5 of 21
flan
Regular Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

No, there may be a delay of up to 60 days for your reports to update, but they have to be reported every month. Chase is the only bank that will report a $0 balance differently, and they update immediately. Synchrony will report a zero balance every month. They have for me.

Creditors are under no obligation to report anything, on any time scale.  What they do report has to be timely and accurate, but they don't have to report if they don't want to.  Reporting costs them money, so not reporting inactive accounts is fairly routine.  It's much less common that it was even a few years ago, and a number of creditors now report more than monthly  (usually to report  payment that results in a zero balance).  All of the credit bureaus fill in months between reports with an OK status, if there's not a late reported, when they get the next report. 

A few years ago (okay, going on twenty, sigh...) I worked for a company that reported our in house accounts.  Most of the accounts were opened to make a particular purchase, paid down, and not used again.  We mailed tapes once a month.  I wrote the reporting software; new accounts, accounts with late payements, and accounts paid to zero were always reported.  After that, I filled the tapes with active accounts with a balance, least recently reported first.  If there was still room on the tape, then open zero balance accounts, again in order of least recently reported, were put on.  Those probably only got reported in December and January, when lots of new accounts got opened.

Message 6 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@flan wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Creditors are under no obligation to report anything, on any time scale.  What they do report has to be timely and accurate, but they don't have to report if they don't want to.  Reporting costs them money, so not reporting inactive accounts is fairly routine.  It's much less common that it was even a few years ago, and a number of creditors now report more than monthly  (usually to report  payment that results in a zero balance).  All of the credit bureaus fill in months between reports with an OK status, if there's not a late reported, when they get the next report. 

A few years ago (okay, going on twenty, sigh...) I worked for a company that reported our in house accounts.  Most of the accounts were opened to make a particular purchase, paid down, and not used again.  We mailed tapes once a month.  I wrote the reporting software; new accounts, accounts with late payements, and accounts paid to zero were always reported.  After that, I filled the tapes with active accounts with a balance, least recently reported first.  If there was still room on the tape, then open zero balance accounts, again in order of least recently reported, were put on.  Those probably only got reported in December and January, when lots of new accounts got opened.

Thanks for correcting that. I know they are not under obligation to report, not sure why I typed that.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to summarize for everyone:

In any given month, a creditor is under obligation to report a $0 balance if BOTH of the following are true:

* The $0 balance is recent (e.g. last 40 days, say)

* The last reported balance was positive

This follows from the creditor's responsibility to make sure that the dollar amount that appears on the report is reasonably up to date.

Otherwise, in the case where the current balances is $0, but the creditor already reported that $0 balance the last time, the creditor is completely free not to continue to update that $0 figure every month.

Quite common among many CC issuers is to stop updating a zero balance after the 3rd or 4th month.  Some CC issuers, however, will continue to send a $0 update every month for a long time (years).

Message 8 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's certainly not routine, but I had a card with a zero balance that was reporting about once every 6 months. So it's possible. Nothing forces a lender to report, they report whenever they want. But 99% of them report monthly.

(I have since closed that account, it was an RBC Bank Visa)

In the old days it was standard for the bank to only report a revolving cards activity once every 90 days. There is no law requiring anyone to report.

Message 9 of 21
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once a creditor has decided to first report an account to a CRA, they thereafter are required under FCRA 623(a)(2) to "promptly" update that reporting so as to maintain its current accuracy. 

The standard interpretation of "promptly" is monthly updating.

Thus, if information has changed from a prior month, there is an interpretation of statute that mandates monthly updating.

However, if the balance remains the same from a prior month, such as $0, there is no statutory requirement to report any update.

They can thus wait for a longer period, such as quarterly, before reporting.

Many creditors will simply choose to design their software so that all accounts, unless closed and paid, will be included in all monthly updates.  Any update may not legally be required, but it may be simpler to just do them all.......

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.