Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it too late?

tag
headspin
New Contributor

Is it too late?

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum, but I have been reading a lot of the posts over the last few days and I have a question about my own credit problem.

About a year ago I was applying for a mortgage and the mortgage lender gave me some advice to help improve my scores and I now believe this advice has done more bad then good.  I had 4 old (2002-2005) unpaid collection accounts on my reports.  The advice I received was to call all the CA's and make a settlement offer to them so the accounts would be shown as paid.  I did this and 2 of the CA's accounts were removed from my credit report however the original lenders (Best Buy and Macys) still show up on my CR as charged off, transferred.  The other 2 CA's still show up, one as settled for less than balance and the other as paid in full.  So this brings me to my question, since these have been paid, or settled is it too late to go back and ask them to remove the account from my CR?  If it is not to late how should I go about doing this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it too late?

start with a goodwill letter. others will have more advice for you
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

same thing happened to me with a mtg officer. I paid everything off.. then found the forum so i am goodwilling like crazy and it seems to be working some. I still have to get some new credit to help bring my scores up.
Message 3 of 6
headspin
New Contributor

Do you have a sample of the gw letter you use?  Most of the ones I have seen on here are for removing late payments.  I thought that since the accounts are already paid that they may just ignore my letters.  Is it possible that since I settled with most of these CA's that they may request that I PIF?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's worth a shot. send them a pfd for the amount left to make the balance pif. If they agree do it , if they dont good will them again
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

headspin wrote:

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum, but I have been reading a lot of the posts over the last few days and I have a question about my own credit problem.

About a year ago I was applying for a mortgage and the mortgage lender gave me some advice to help improve my scores and I now believe this advice has done more bad then good.  I had 4 old (2002-2005) unpaid collection accounts on my reports.  The advice I received was to call all the CA's and make a settlement offer to them so the accounts would be shown as paid.  I did this and 2 of the CA's accounts were removed from my credit report however the original lenders (Best Buy and Macys) still show up on my CR as charged off, transferred.  The other 2 CA's still show up, one as settled for less than balance and the other as paid in full.  So this brings me to my question, since these have been paid, or settled is it too late to go back and ask them to remove the account from my CR?  If it is not to late how should I go about doing this?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=2661
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.