Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to take out Discover Personal Loan to get "installment loan" TL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it worth it to take out Discover Personal Loan to get "installment loan" TL

I plan on buying a car in the next 1-3 years and I want to get teh sweetest deal I can.  So far

• EQ - 743
  • EX - 763
  • TU - 783

• Mortgage reported on all 3
  • 5 or 6 revolving accounts (2 store cards, 4 credit cards)
  • AoAA is like 3 years
  • No collections or deragatories 
  • DTI is great
  • Credit utilization is zilch since I pay all CC in full.

I've never had an istallment loan in my life, no car loan or personal loan.  I know they are fishing but all credit monitoring says I am getting dinged for this.  I also worry about auto lender's proprietary acceptance or scoring guidelines that will ding me for never having an installment loan.

Discover prequalified me for a personal loan at 9% for 84 months.  Discover has zero origination or prepayment penalty.  My plan was to take a $3000 loan, immediately turn around and pay $2870.  I will then pay the remaining balance with the $40 monthly payments.  This will give me an installment loan TL that last 3 months for a few bucks.

Is this worth it?  I kind of want to see what it does for my score.  I will be taking a hard pull

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it worth it to take out Discover Personal Loan to get "installment loan" TL

The Disover loan would not help you, since you already have an open mortgage.  A mortgage is considered an installment loan.

On the other hand, if you really feel like there is a chance that some model might like seeing that you have both a mortgage and a non-mortgage installment account on your reports (both open) -- and I can't rule out the chance that there might be some benefit in some model -- then I would definitely not go the Discover route.  Instead, I would get a $500 Share Secure loan with Alliant.  You can find out more about it here (first three posts):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

The SS loan technique is designed for people with no installment accounts (including mortgages) so don't expect to see the 30 point increase it describes.  But using Alliant will save you the hard pull and will get you everything you are looking for in the Discover loan.  The Alliant loan will last 5 years and cost $2 per year.

I see that you write:

Credit utilization is zilch since I pay all CC in full.

Two quick thoughts. 

(1)  You don't want a utilization of 0%, if that it what you meant by zilch.  In the 40-day runup to applying for the auto loan, you want all cards to report $0 with one card reporting a small positive balance.  That will be considered by FICO to be 1%.

(2)  To pay in full means to pay the full amount that appears on the top of the credit card statement in the roughly 25 days after the statement prints.  A person can pay in full and still have a high credit card utilization.  So the inference you make (I pay in full, therefore my CC utilization is low) does not actually follow.  Let us know if it is unclear why that is true and any number of people will be glad to explain.

Final thought: you scores are already plenty high enough to get best rates for auto loans, especially if you apply for no new accounts (except possibly the Alliant loan) during the next year.

Message 2 of 3
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Is it worth it to take out Discover Personal Loan to get "installment loan" TL

With those credit scores I think you'll have no problems getting the sweetest deal on the APR for a car loan. On 9/1 I bought a 2016 car w/18k miles from a dealer and I got a 3.25% 60 month loan from my credit union, my Fico scores are all around 720.

Yeah, I used to get those "no recent installment loan" in the negative comments on TU Fico scores. My previous car loan was with another, much smaller CU that only reported to EQ & EX. Supposedly you can up to a 20pt. boost with an installment loan, but the boost takes awhile because you get dinged for a new account.

If you really want an installment loan to boost your score instead of paying that interest to Disco for a personal loan, you might consider a share secured loan, a very low interest on a loan secured by your deposit in a savings account:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

EDIT: That Dixie credit guy beat me to it, lol. Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.