cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my credit score reported to bureaus without a SSN?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is my credit score reported to bureaus without a SSN?

Hello,

I am new in the US and on this forum. Im a french student on exchange program.

I recently applied for an AMEX Cash magnet card with my passport (no SSN/ITIN) and got approved (surely because i own a french AMEX) with a 1000$ credit limit. It's amazing but i have several questions:

1) Is AMEX reporting my credit score reported to bureaus even though i don't own neither an SSN or ITIN? Am I building credit?

2) How much time should i wait before applying for another AMEX card (I'd like to get the Blue preffered one)

3) How much time and HOW should i ask for a credit limit increase? I would like to reach 5000$ asap.

I also own a secured CC from BOFA (cash rewards with 1000$ deposit) since 4 months and got declined for an unsecured one last week.

1) Anyone know how can I go unsecured with them? I am not sure on how they're looking at my applications since I don't have a FICO score (yet) on their app

Thank you very much for your time

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is my credit score reported to bureaus without a SSN?

Welcome to the forum. I can answer some of your questions for now.

Lenders can't report credit scores, as a credit score is a result calculated from a credit report. What they report is account information and payment history. Even without SSN/ITIN, they will still report the account's history and credit bureaus will store information for you. In other words you can build credit history even if you don't have an SSN/ITIN for now. If you get one later you can contact the banks to provide this information (preferably SSN), and it will be reported to credit bureaus as well.

Amex is usually generous with limits, and may grant you a CLI if you request after 61 days of account opening and you may request the limit to be up to 3x your current limit. So in the best case you would have to request two increases to get above $5k on this account. The two increases will need to be at least 6 months apart. There is a dedicated thread about this and you can find more information there.

Message 2 of 12
josh1
New Contributor

Since the other user did a good job answering the other questions, I will just try to answer some of the other questions.

How many cards have you applied for, and in what time line. I have heard very mixed things on this forum in regards to what AMEX will approve, mainly that they are strict. Personally, AMEX seems very open to taking new members and even people knew to credit, but just giving $1,000 limits. Like my sisters first credit card was an AMEX Platinum, which she got about half a year ago, and my first card was the Skymiles Delta AMEX. AMEX is always sending both of us more offers and trying to get us to apply to other cards, as both of us always pay our bills on time and are very responsible with our cards. With that being said, it seems like you have applied for a decent amount of cards in recent history, so I might wait a few months. Just keep paying AMEX on time and being responible, and if possible keep getting that limit up. Show them you are the type of client they want to have.

I don't want to give you wrong information about the secured card, but this is what I have heard. Remember, you can also always call them and ask how they determine graduation. Anyways, on to what I have heard.

The standard process is reviewal after 1 year of having the card. After that year they take into account your credit score, payment history, and banking history with them. After that they review it periodically (I believe monthly). Now this is the part I am not sure about, but I have heard it works. I wouldn't do this without calling and asking them for more information first, or if someone could just confirm. I have heard that you can call and ask for them to review you for graduation before the date.

Good luck!

Credit Cards:

AU Cards:

Other Cards:
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just FYI to other posters - OP is most likely on a J1 exchange visa and is not work authorized.

(Although OP, anyone can get an ITIN and I recommend that you apply for one ASAP)

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just FYI to other posters - OP is most likely on a J1 exchange visa and is not work authorized.

(Although OP, anyone can get an ITIN and I recommend that you apply for one ASAP)

J-1 students are eligible to work on campus if the work is related to their field of study, so they can get SSN if the job is paid. They may also participate in academic training which can involve off-campus employment. However, each individual school/institution can have different restrictions on J-1.

The purpose for ITIN is to file tax and one can only apply for ITIN they need to file a return/claim treaty ("You can apply for an ITIN any time during the year when you have a filing or reporting requirement." per IRS). IRS can deny ITIN applications based on this reason. The application form also states if one can get an SSN they should not apply for ITIN.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello good sirs ,

Thank you very much for your time and answers!

Im a F1 visa student so I really can't work/neither get myself an ITIN.

1) I called AMEX and applied for the blue preferred card. I got denied because i can't get my self a second card of the same family (cashback) unless I get upgraded. So I will try again in 3 months as well as requesting a CLI.

2)  Concerning BOFA, the thing is that I really want to go unsecured with them but I have no idea how they're processing my applications since i dont have a SSN/ITIN (I got denied for unsecured 2weeks ago, i own a 1000$ secured since +4 month). If anyone knowhow BOFA works

Thanks again

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

F1 students can still work on-campus up to 20 hours per week, if the work is related to field of study. If you can find an on-campus job that complies with your status, you can get an SSN. CPT/OPT allows F1 to work as well.

Amex Blue Cash Everyday/Blue Cash Preferred/Cash Magnet all give cash back rewards in the form of Reward Dollars so they are considered the same family. I don't think one can't get more than one card of this family but your file is thin and/or relationship with Amex is short, so at this time they probably won't approve you another card even outside of this family.

Since your BofA card is already opened, it's probably better just stick with it for now instead of applying for a new one. You will likely have to wait 1--2 years to get it unsecured, then you may convert it to another card that earns rewards.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you all for your answers!

I have some update since I’m celebrating my third month with Amex (1000$ credit limit so far)

The thing is that one month ago I was chatting with support and they told me that i could request a CLI with no consequences, which I did, and i got a refusal. Fine.

But now I chatted with them since I’m 3month old and they told me that since I requested a CLI last month I would have to wait until December.... they also told me that they could exceptionally do another request for me but they told me there would be a small chance of it being accepted (in their opinion).

1000$ limit is really low for me I would need that 3x CLI. Do you think they’re mistaking and is it fine to make that new request? Or should I wait until December?...

Thank you all!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also my fico score is showing 693

Thank you
Message 9 of 12
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

I'm an international student as well. In 2016, I applied for BofA card without an SSN and closed the card in 2017.

Recently in 2018 I got my SSN and decided to start applying for credit cards. When I checked my credit reports, I found out that my old BofA card was on my EQ report, but not on my EX or TU.

I'm sure that both BofA and Amex will report your whole history as soon as you get your SSN, but I'm not sure how they exactly report while you don't have an SSN

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.