cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a late payment?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Member

Is this a late payment?

Do to an oversight on my part, my credit card payment for April was made two days after the payment due date. Am I going to get dinged with a 30-day late on my credit report and, if so, why would that happen when the payment was made 2 days after the due date -- not 30 days after the due date.

Or, hopefully, do I have nothing to worry about.

Not sure if this matters, but the new (May) statement had not cut yet.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Valued Member

Re: Is this a late payment?

The issuer may hit you with a fee or raise your interest rate but as far as an actual late payment , you're good to go.

Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

As @WorkingHard56 said, it’s not a 30-day late. And since it was only 2 days and I’m assuming your first and only one, call the lender and ask for a refund if you are hit with a late fee.
GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

DEC 2019: EX 811, TU 797, EQ 810
SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 804
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| NFCU CashRewards $30K || AmX Cash Magnet $30K || Discover IT $22.2K || Macy's $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 3 of 9
Established Contributor

Without knowing which bank this is, it's hard to say what will happen. But in general, you should call your issuer, explain the oversight and see if they can do anything for you like waiving the late fee, etc. At the minimum, you should find out if the issuer will charge you a late fee and interest and pay those off in addition to your statement balance. 

Your interest rate won't go up because under the CARD Act, lenders can only impose penalty interest rates if payment is late by more than 60 days I believe. 

Message 4 of 9
Senior Contributor

Technically its a late payment because the payment was not made on the due date. You probably will be assessed a late fee. You can call and have them reverse the late fee as a onetime courtesy.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WMC, Venture VS
Chase: Freedom U VS, CSR VI
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity VS
Credit Union: Rewards Visa
FICO 08: (9.3.19) EX: 824 / EQ: 834 / TU: 832
Message 5 of 9
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

The other likelihood here is that you will probably not have any chance of a CLI with this lender (if one was in your plans) for at least a year. They’re going to want to be sure it was an isolated event and not an omen.

Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | IT Cash | IT Chrome | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Firestone | Wayfair | Overstock | Kohl’s

5/24, 1/24, 76445/24, who cares #HappyWithAmex

Entering the garden 5/27/2019, staying until 2020
(Lol so much for that grand plan...)
Message 6 of 9
Valued Contributor

No, it is not 30 past due.

Your APR may increase and you might get some fees and pay some interest.

Call them and see what they can do.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k+ unsecured credit in 2017  -  $300k+ unsecured credit in 2019.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

10% Rotating - Discover                    5%-20% - Amazon & Lowes                3-6% Groceries - NFCU & Amex Preferred
3-5% Gas - NFCU & Ducks Unl         4% Dining & Entertain - Savor            3% Travel & Hotels - Flagship, Propel, & Uber
2% Everything Else - Flagship          1% Cancer Charity - Fifth Third          0% Finance Promos - Venture & QuickSilver

Message 7 of 9
Established Member

Thanks everyone for the information. Good to know I won't gt the 30-day ding. I'll call the card issuer and see if I can get any late fee waived. Haven't had a late payment with them before. thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
Senior Contributor

Who’s the lender?
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WMC, Venture VS
Chase: Freedom U VS, CSR VI
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity VS
Credit Union: Rewards Visa
FICO 08: (9.3.19) EX: 824 / EQ: 834 / TU: 832
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.