Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a soft or hard inquiry?

tag
Platinum25
New Contributor

Is this a soft or hard inquiry?

I had a pretty hefty balance on one of my Chase CC's but always paid more than the minimum....cl = 7500, just sent in 6000 to PIF.  After reading on here I want to request a CLI because I want the high limits to prove i'm responsible but I don't want to risk a hard inquiry for it.  Does anyone know if requesting a CLI, specifically with Chase, will result in a soft or hard pull?  Thanks!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a soft or hard inquiry?

@ChiTownTimmay wrote:
I had a pretty hefty balance on one of my Chase CC's but always paid more than the minimum....cl = 7500, just sent in 6000 to PIF. After reading on here I want to request a CLI because I want the high limits to prove i'm responsible but I don't want to risk a hard inquiry for it. Does anyone know if requesting a CLI, specifically with Chase, will result in a soft or hard pull? Thanks!

All the CLIs that I was approved for in the past have been hard pulls. I don't really know though. One of these guys here will answer better than I can. Smiley Happy Just wait...
Message 2 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

All CCCs are different. Amex won't pull a hard inq, whereas CITI might. Call them and ask before you pull the trigger!
Message 3 of 10
Platinum25
New Contributor

The rep at Chase told me they "might" do a soft pull but he thinks it's a hard pull.  I've had the card for a year with no CLI as of yet.  My AMEX Blue i've had for almost 2 years, started out with 2k and now my limit is 12k.  They just increased me in May and then again in July.  I never requested it but I like it! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid off a chase CC awhile back. few weeks later I received an offer for 0% to transfer to chase. At the same time it told me that my CL was raised to double what it was.

Could be if PIF  they want you back & might automatic increase your CL.

This happened also with discover card

there was no pulls on either   but then I didn't ask for anything

Message Edited by HappyDays on 07-25-2007 05:01 PM
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is probably a hard pull I talked to a customer service representitive just the other day about an offer i recieved he said that they can't even tell you wether or not you can be approved for their offers without a hard pull even if you give them your credit scores i respectfully declined his offer telling him that if he couldnt tell me wether or not it would be approved i didnt want the hard pull.

i would have loved to have seen his face talking to someone that knew those terms.. btw i love these forums lol

but back to subject most likely a hard pull but if you call the customer service they will tell you for sure they dont try to talk their way out of it pretty straight forward
Message 6 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ChiTownTimmay wrote:
The rep at Chase told me they "might" do a soft pull but he thinks it's a hard pull.  I've had the card for a year with no CLI as of yet.  My AMEX Blue i've had for almost 2 years, started out with 2k and now my limit is 12k.  They just increased me in May and then again in July.  I never requested it but I like it! Smiley Happy

Be a bit more forceful! Make them answer your question! When it comes to CCCs, I'm a real hard a$$ and almost always get my way, except for CITI.Smiley Happy

Off topic here. You must be from Chicago. I haven't been there since 1988. I have a lot of relatives there, mostly in the Rogers Park (East) area. 
Message 7 of 10
Platinum25
New Contributor

Well I already have a couple of CC's with Chase so it's not like I am applying for new credit and would need a hard inquiry...it's just a CLI with an existing acct, but I'll call back and push em around a little.  Smiley Happy

Yeah, i'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
Message 8 of 10
Platinum25
New Contributor

So....if they automatically grant me a CLI then it's a soft pull?  But if I call to request it (or request it online) it's considered a hard pull?  Where's the logic in that?
Message 9 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

ChiTownTimmay wrote:
So....if they automatically grant me a CLI then it's a soft pull?  But if I call to request it (or request it online) it's considered a hard pull?  Where's the logic in that?

If you ask they have PP for a hard pull.  If they wish to offer, they do a soft pull.

And Chase have told me if I ask for a CLI it will be a hard pull.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.