cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this affecting my score in a negative way?

tag
Jojo567
Valued Member

Is this affecting my score in a negative way?

So I replaced my paypal credit card in June of 2020. As a result Syncrony closed that account and opened a new one with the same history. However,  to this day the old account is still showing on all my reports, I thought it would be deleted. Is this hurting my score in some way? If it is how do I remove it? My fear is hurting my relationship with Syncrony in any way as they have been good to me with being new to credit and a low income. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this affecting my score in a negative way?

No, it's helping. If it was closed in good standing, which it must have been in order to be converted over, then leave it there. It helps with age and file thickness.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming it’s age is older than your average ages.

I know of others that have the same scenario. I’ve often wondered if the algorithm is programmed to ignore replacement cards/accounts or those replaced due to being stolen.

The reason I wonder this, among other reasons, is the person I know who had theirs replaced, their average age doesn’t match up with a threshold award, but if those accounts were ignored, then it would have seemed to be on time.

I didn’t dig into it tremendously, so I don’t have all the details, but it seemed like if those accounts were ignored an average age Threshold would’ve been responsible for an otherwise inexplicable award.

So I don’t know, but it would be something interesting to keep an eye out for data points on.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Normally a closed account in good standing stays on your report (and contributes to your average age of accounts [AAoA]) for 10 years or so.

There are a number of reasons an account may be "closed" and replaced with a new, backdated account.  Credit card replacements due to theft/compromise/fraud is one.  Another is when a loan (mortgages usually) get sold/transferred to a new bank.  The old loan closes and the new one starts reporting, but both loans have the same opening date and opening balance on your report, so your scores are only minimally effected in most cases.

I don't know if such accounts are linked so the FICO algorithm can treat them as a single account for age purposes, but assuming it doesn't, it can either help your score if it's an an older account than your AAoA or hurt it if it's younger.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would really like to know if the algorithm does discount those. Maybe any members who have had experiences with replacing a lost or stolen card can tell us whether or not they had a Score change when the new one reported with the old tradeline still there?

Kind of difficult to test for the change of servicers or does the amount borrowed remain the same?

If it does, then same question to people in that situation, did they see a score change when the new tradeline reported with the original opening date and amount borrowed, or if any change, was is it reversed when the original one was marked closed?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.