Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JH Portfolio Debt Equities Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

JH Portfolio Debt Equities Reporting

I have a collection account reporting on Equifax “JH Portfolio Debt Equities”. It is only reporting on EQ, not TU or EX. My question is whether or not it is legal for them to report.

Brief history: I had a CO Citibank Card, among many others. I made a bad choice and paid a company to settle all my debt (did I mention bad choice?) not sure if it’s against the rules to name the company. Fast forward to now....this specific account was settled with Credit Control LLC, with payment made to Credit Control LLC, however JH Portfolio Debt Equities is Reporting the account under collections on my EQ credit report. I have disputed a couple of times, however it remains. The account has been paid since September 2018, but still shows “Open” with a $0 balance under collection accounts.

Any recommendations on what I should do? Should I call them and request it be removed directly since the dispute is not working?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JH Portfolio Debt Equities Reporting

If they had collection authority or were the owners at the time you settled it then they can report for a max of 7.5 yrs from the OCs DoFD. It is irrelevant that it shows open as the balance is 0 and dont dispute it anymore all you are doing is making it look like a new derog in the eyes of Fico as Fico goes off the status date for time since delinquency. To try and remove it you would begin a GW letter campaign asking for removal of the TL

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. How do I determine if they held the debt? As I stated, the company Credit Control was who I paid in settlement, not JH. I’ve looked up both and neither seem connected, unless Credit Control subcontracts from JH.

I do understand your point with disputing, I am currently on my second round of dispute with this CA. Should I just call JH and ask them to provide me with documentation that they owned the debt at the time of the settlement? Or possibly call Credit Control?
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to share an update, received notification from EQ this morning that the dispute results were in. I called them and the collection account was removed due to them not responding! Haven’t seen my updated score yet, but hoping for a decent bump!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep us updated if anything changes. I just dealt with them recently.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just to share an update, received notification from EQ this morning that the dispute results were in. I called them and the collection account was removed due to them not responding! Haven’t seen my updated score yet, but hoping for a decent bump!

Well, received some disappointing news this morning.  I had not seen the account removed from my CR yet so I called EQ and apparently I misunderstood the person I spoke to on Friday.  The account was not removed and JH Portfolio verified by updating the account with EQ to 180 days late.  This is frustrating as I have no idea who JH Portfolio is and how they are involved, I never had any contact with them nor did my payment go to them.  I have found no tie between JH Portfolio and Credit Control LLC.  Should I contact JH Portfolio directly regarding their reporting and ask them for details?  Should I write a GW letter?  I’m lost on what to do, but want this collection account cleaned up.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

JH Portfolio is impossible to deal with. They do not respond to letters and do not answer phone calls. Can you share how old the debt is, and the original amount and what state you are in?

I saw this was a $0 balance collection. Your best alternative is to dispute with Equifax and dispute with Collection company directly. Do not do this online. Do it by mail CMRR. Equifax will most likely send you a automatic verification response. JH possibly won’t respond. Then send another letter to Equifax requesting the method of verification. Equifax probably won’t reply. Then send an intent to sue letter to Equifax for violation of the FCRA (you’d have to list actual violations), and attach your correspondence. Explain that Equifax is the only CRA that is correcting reporting this and that is not only unverifiable is also inaccurate. Information in your credit must be: accurate, complete AND verifiable. It might take time but it could work. Again YMMV.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a Google search and JH Portfolio Debt Equities, LLC uses a variety of names, and a network of other companies, to collect on old debts. One of them, is Credit Control LLC, which you named. You can also find them on the Better Business Bureau and see what others are saying about this company. They do not look like a company that plays nice. I hope this information helps.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
JH Portfolio is impossible to deal with. They do not respond to letters and do not answer phone calls. Can you share how old the debt is, and the amount and what state you are in?

The collection account shows first added in 12/2017 (OC is no longer reported).  It shows “On Record Until February 2023”.  The debt has been paid off, balance of $0.  I am in GA.  

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old is the original debt and what is the original debt amount?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.