Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined Alliant CU - but is it worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joined Alliant CU - but is it worth it?

A few weeks ago I joined Alliant CU. It was on a whim really, as I was reading about the SSL technique to improve credit score. I've had installment loans in the past but don't have any open installment loans currently. Other than Alliant's SSL, is joining Alliant even worth it? After reading that they're pretty conservative with their loans and CCs, I'm wondering if they'd even want to give me a loan or credit card. My credit history is poor but rebuilding, but it will still be years before all of my derogs fall off. Is there a better CU to join instead of Alliant? I don't have a need for any loans currently, but I really need to get some dental work done at some point and would like to find a place that will give me a loan big enough to cover it, so maybe Alliant won't fit my needs. I don't know. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Joined Alliant CU - but is it worth it?

@Anonymous wrote:

A few weeks ago I joined Alliant CU. It was on a whim really, as I was reading about the SSL technique to improve credit score. I've had installment loans in the past but don't have any open installment loans currently. Other than Alliant's SSL, is joining Alliant even worth it? After reading that they're pretty conservative with their loans and CCs, I'm wondering if they'd even want to give me a loan or credit card. My credit history is poor but rebuilding, but it will still be years before all of my derogs fall off. Is there a better CU to join instead of Alliant? I don't have a need for any loans currently, but I really need to get some dental work done at some point and would like to find a place that will give me a loan big enough to cover it, so maybe Alliant won't fit my needs. I don't know. Thoughts?

1. Yes it's worth it.

2. Their savings interest rate is way above average.

3. I have not found them to be especially conservative in granting credit.

4. Their electronic features on the website are excellent.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good response by SouthJ.

Also, bear in mind that the decision doesn't have to be an either-or.  I.e. either I join Alliant or I join this other CU.  As if there was a rule that said you could only be a member of one.

Alliant is a well-tested place to implement the SSL technique.  You have no loans, you are interested in the technique, and you could use every extra point you can get (since you are rebuilding).  If I were you I would go with Alliant now, implement the SSL technique in August, and continue to keep your options open in case you find a CU that is a better fit for you.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

And Alliant does a soft pull for the SSL correct?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's right.  Soft pull to join the CU, and a soft pull for the SSL.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do they pull TU, EQ or EX?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ for the membership and for the SSL.  I believe that for some other products (e.g. credit cards, possibly other loans) they might pull from a different bureau.

Bear in mind that there is a ChexSystems pull for the membership as well.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll trade ya for my PENFED, whadya say? To answer you, yes, keep it. What SJ said. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.