Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement life on a cr?

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Judgement life on a cr?

What is the judgement life on a credit report?

I disputed a "judgement"  that is on the credit report.   There was never a judgement to begin with - the guy filed a lawsuit and I countered sued.  He lost.  I WON.  I got the judgement against HIM.  (not the other way around!)

I received the letter from the CB today saying it's been "verified".  It's lifeline to the CR has been extended now to 10 yrs and 8 months.   Yeah, for real.

I am literally at wits end on this one.  Every time I dispute it, it comes back "verified" and the lifeline extends.  I have even sent certified court papers showing that I have a judgement against the other person!

The CB says they have to use a real person to verify anything with the courts.

*** Well, just solved part of the mystery.  Need more information now.   I did a records search.  The original case is not showing up anywhere in the court files.  BUT there is an appeal that showing up.  The guy won by default.   I know darn well that I was NEVER notified that he filed an appeal.  Under service/process - nothing is listed.  He won his appeal in 2005.   Is this suppose to stay on my CR until 2015?   How do I go about getting it vacated?   Or proof of service?   This court is 2 hours, on a good day, away from where I live.   And the guy actually made pymts to my then attny.   Argh!!!  Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Judgement life on a cr?

Was notice of appeal served on you?   If not contact the clerk of the court and see what their records show.

You should have been afforded the right under your state civil code to respond to the appeal.

I still, however, dont underand what happened.  If the plaintiff appealed and prevailed, that should only have vacated your judgment against him.

Appellate courts are not trial courts, and dont "retry" the case.

Very confusing.  YOu need to review the entire record of the proceedings.

Message 2 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I did contact the court.  They were going to go to the basement and pull up the files.  

I won a judgement against him.  He apparently appealed THAT decision, so it was recorded as a judgement against me.

OR 

He appealed the case HE lost, thus getting a judgement against me.

However it worked out, I was NOT served and had no idea that it had happened.  Waiting for court docs now.

But aside from that, how long does a judgement stay on a CR?  7 yrs?  10 yrs?

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Judgements should only show on your report for 7 years from the date the judgement is issued.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Again, appellate courts dont issue verdicts, they can only affirm or overturn them lower court verdicts.

If he prevailed on appeal, then the case would go back to the trial court, and you would have been notified by the  court of a time period to refile your case, if you felt other issues  still supported a cause of action.

You need copies of all the prior proceedings of any court involved in this matter.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.