Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just an idea... NEW LIST?

tag
Gatito
Contributor

Just an idea... NEW LIST?

Hello All,

Maybe I didn't look through everything well enough to find something like this but we should start a list that shows what type of score you get from where, and which scores a little more reliable. For example, Barclay shows me 691 at the bottom of the page I see TransUnion so I figure this coming from them (don't know much about the scoring models and which this may be). I also get one from USbank from CreditCheck or something like that which does say they give you Vantage 3.0 from TransUnion gives me 641. Then Walmart says 678 and again TransUnion shows up again lol. This could be very confusing for people starting out and even for people like that have read a fair amount of threads and info here. 

So again, maybe we should start a list that  shows who provides scores and from where possible which model score and how reliable that score is to pay attention to?

*eagerly awaits responses* Cat Tongue

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just an idea... NEW LIST?

@Gatito wrote:

Hello All,

Maybe I didn't look through everything well enough to find something like this but we should start a list that shows what type of score you get from where, and which scores a little more reliable. For example, Barclay shows me 691 at the bottom of the page I see TransUnion so I figure this coming from them (don't know much about the scoring models and which this may be). I also get one from USbank from CreditCheck or something like that which does say they give you Vantage 3.0 from TransUnion gives me 641. Then Walmart says 678 and again TransUnion shows up again lol. This could be very confusing for people starting out and even for people like that have read a fair amount of threads and info here. 

So again, maybe we should start a list that  shows who provides scores and from where possible which model score and how reliable that score is to pay attention to?

*eagerly awaits responses* Cat Tongue

Good idea Gatito,

One problem...

After the Number Crunchers ( creditguy...Thomas_Thumb , Robert, NRB,etc) get through with their ideas...which we appreciate...

It is like a statistics final exam and us normal people are left with glazed eyes and a headache!

O

Message 2 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Not too bad of an idea for newer people to the credit game.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Gatito wrote:

Maybe I didn't look through everything well enough to find something like this but we should start a list that shows what type of score you get from where, and which scores a little more reliable.

You cannot rely on "reliable" (or true, accurate, real, etc) and need to rely on relevance.  All scores are reliable.  If, for example, you pull a TU FICO 8 you'll get the same score regardless of source assuming that the data in the TU report has not significantly changed ih the span of time between the pulls.  It's the same with any scoring model.  Scoring differences boil down to one or more of the possibilities below with the last two being a bit redundant as they're both data differences.

• Different models
  • Different CRA's used as data sources
  • Differences in the report data

Creditors don't all use the same scoring model or CRA.  If you want to know where you stand score-wise with a creditor/product then you need to know which model & CRA are used in the decision for that creditor/product and pull that specific score.  You cannot use a score generated by a different model or using data from another CRA.  Different models evaluate report data differently and can even have different scoring ranges.  This is where many seem to have a mistaken assumption.  In other words, as an example you cannot use your TU VantageScore 3.0 to determine your TU FICO 8.  VantageScore 3.0 isn't desiged to mimic FICO 8.  You cannot use other FICO models to determine a FICO 8 either.

@Gatito wrote:

For example, Barclay shows me 691 at the bottom of the page I see TransUnion so I figure this coming from them (don't know much about the scoring models and which this may be). I also get one from USbank from CreditCheck or something like that which does say they give you Vantage 3.0 from TransUnion gives me 641. Then Walmart says 678 and again TransUnion shows up again lol.

FICO scores are not a TU product.  They are a Fair Isaac Corporation product.  myFICO is a Fair Isaac site.  VantageScore is a VantageScore Solutions product.   VantageScore was created by the 3 major CRA's but VantageScore Solutions is not TU or the other 2 CRA's.

You always need to consider the specific scoring model and its relevance.

Barclaycard provides a TU FICO 8.  I don't see where they indicate the model on the page where I see the score but there are prior discussions that cover this.  The score Barclaycard provides is relevant to creditors/products that use a TU FICO 8 in the decision and irrelevant to those who do not.

As you indicate, US Bank provides a TU VantageScore 3.0.  It is relevant to creditors/products that use a TU VantageScore 3.0 in the decision and irrelevant to those who do not.

The same applies for any model/CRA combo out there.  Neither of the scores you mention is more reliable than the other but they do have differences in their relevance.

@Gatito wrote:

This could be very confusing for people starting out and even for people like that have read a fair amount of threads and info here.  

The different models and their relevance is a very common topic.  If people don't read existing discussions to sort it out, how will another thread help?  Additionally, for FICO models there's the Understanding FICO Scoring Subforum and its sitckies.  It's really up to each to use the resources available to educate.  We do what we can to help but a list isn't going to help those who are starting out with a mistaken assumption.

You can use the Credit Pulls Database (Google to find) to see which CRA's and models creditors use as well as existing discussions here.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the OP is well aware of everything said in the long post above; none of that is what he was getting at.  He understands that there are different scoring models and that different scores come from different sources.  He was suggesting that compiling a list of which scores come from which sources would be beneficial.

Message 5 of 9
The_Gazelle12
New Contributor

Great idea OP!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody, can't remember who right now, has already compiled this list and has it in spreadsheet form.

Message 7 of 9
Gatito
Contributor

Yes, as mentioned I am aware of the different models, just thought it would be beneficial to myself and others to have it all compiled in a sticky where it can be reviewed. Also, maybe if someone that has a walmart store card and isn't aware they offer it they can go re-visit it and maybe have more an idea of what they are looking at. If someone could figure out where this spreadsheet is and maybe post it that would be helpful and others can chime in and add more info so that others can be more well informed. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Here you go:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

Scroll down to message #6 to see which issuer provides which free score (and what type).  Smiley Wink

Edited to add:  full shout-out to Themanwhocan for the awesome charts!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.