cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got off the phone with Consumer Protection Lady and...

tag
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Just got off the phone with Consumer Protection Lady and...

I asked what was the SOL for my state(North Carolina) she told me that it is  4 years which is not what i have read!

According to bankrate.com SOL is 3-3-5-3, and she told me that if a CA established a debt meaning they proved that i owe it, she said that it could stay on my report forever until paid! YIKES!

She also said that NC usually goes by DOLA which she said is pretty close to DOFD!

If anyone is familiar with NC law please comment!

I know she said more but i cant remember! Sorry!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just got off the phone with Consumer Protection Lady and...

According to GS §1-15, SOL runs from accrual of action. To mean, that means from whenever you went delinquent (DOFD).

Not sure exactly what the CA is collecting on, but for most stuff SOL is 3 years (judgment is 10 years). You can find the breakdown in Chapter 1 Article 5 of the General Statutes.

As for the debt staying forever until paid, also wrong. FCRA clearly says 7 years (Section 605) is the limit for collections and that runs from DOFD.

I've had communications with the Consumer Protection division myself and haven't been too impressed with them.
Message 2 of 6
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I've had communications with the Consumer Protection division myself and haven't been too impressed with them.

Everything you said is what i thought! I was just shaking my head when i was talking to her, she really has no clue of the law except what the FCRA state about 7 year reporting. I was really blown away when she said SOL was 4 years! Us Ficoholics know more than they do! Its sad but true! Lol!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scare tactics plain and simple.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, they didn't seem like they were too on the ball when I contacted them. I filed a complaint because I had a CA on my reports that wasn't licensed to collect in NC (which is a felony). I had sent several letters to which they (the CA) responded they weren't doing anything wrong. I tried CRA disputes, but they just kept verifying. So I followed through on my threat to file complaints (FTC, the AG of their state, the NC AG, the BBB, and the OC) and started working on my lawsuit.

I got a letter back from the consumer protection people saying they'd forwarded my complaint to the CA and they included a copy of the letter they sent to the CA, which basically said a complaint has been filed, you have X amount of days to respond. I got looking at the letter and realized they had sent it to the wrong CA, similar name but a completely different state. So I called to get it straightened out and had to argue with the lady who insisted they had sent it to the CA I identified in my letter. Obviously they hadn't even bothered to investigate my complaint because the CA they sent it to is licensed, while mine isn't.
Message 5 of 6
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Just plain ridiculous! Thats why it pays for us to be on top of things, because we can never be sure if someone or the government for that matter has our backs!

I see they are going to be no help!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.