cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landlord "forgot" to deposit my check - affect on credit scores?

tag
James3
Contributor

Landlord "forgot" to deposit my check - affect on credit scores?

On the first of September, I gave my apartment's leasing office a cashiers check for the full amount of my September rent. I received a receipt in return. For some reason (property management inadequecies) my check hasn't been processed correctly as of 9/14, my account still shows a balance due, and I received a nasty email that said eviction proceedings we beginning. 

I've contacted the manager of my building, who has assured me that I'm not at fault and that a problem with their web portal is to blame for the emails I'm receiving. Should I be concerned about a late rent payment affecting credit scores in the future? What can I do to preemptively protect myself? I plan to ask my property management office for a letter explaining the situation, but I'm not sure what to ask for specifically. 

FNBO Evergreen
GM Copper Card
Wells Fargo Signature
Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards
Citi Double Cash
Wells Fargo BILT
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Landlord "forgot" to deposit my check - affect on credit scores?

@James3 wrote:

On the first of September, I gave my apartment's leasing office a cashiers check for the full amount of my September rent. I received a receipt in return. For some reason (property management inadequecies) my check hasn't been processed correctly as of 9/14, my account still shows a balance due, and I received a nasty email that said eviction proceedings we beginning. 

I've contacted the manager of my building, who has assured me that I'm not at fault and that a problem with their web portal is to blame for the emails I'm receiving. Should I be concerned about a late rent payment affecting credit scores in the future? What can I do to preemptively protect myself? I plan to ask my property management office for a letter explaining the situation, but I'm not sure what to ask for specifically. 

You should get a letter confirming that the September rent was paid in full on September 1st, and that emails stating otherwise are incorrect and were issued in error.  If I were you I would be consulting a landlord/tenant lawyer.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@James3 wrote:

You should get a letter confirming that the September rent was paid in full on September 1st, and that emails stating otherwise are incorrect and were issued in error.  If I were you I would be consulting a landlord/tenant lawyer.

I'd probably want more detailed verbiage to be included along the lines that specifically confirm that any notifications sent regarding legal action including eviction proceedings were done erroniously and that they will promptly correct any reporting errors to reflect that no delinquency occurred, but an attorney experienced in tenant/housing issues should know exactly what to request. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 7
James3
Contributor

I appreciate these comments. I see that this is a potentially more serious issue than I originally thought. It sounds like I should ask property management for the following:

1. Confirmation that I did pay my rent in full on Sept 1st.

2. Confirmation that any notifications sent regarding evictions were done erroneously.

3. Confirmation that property management company will promptly correct any reporting errors to credit reporting agencies to reflect that no delinquency occurred.

Anything else recommended?

FNBO Evergreen
GM Copper Card
Wells Fargo Signature
Citi Double Cash
Wells Fargo BILT
Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@James3 wrote:

Agree with the others that it would be best to get something in writing from your landlord.   In terms of credit reporting there should be no impact as your payment wouldn't be reportable as late until the end of the month ( assuming a due date of 1-SEP ).    Also most landlords don't use monthly credit reporting services, generally nothing will ever be reported unless your lease goes into default / collection. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
James3
Contributor

I've asked the property management company for something in writing, to calm my fears about negative items reported to rental history agencies and credit reporting agencies. I appreciate the suggestions people had.

On a slightly different note, I'm not well versed on the merits of having rental history reported to the credit bureau. I"m considering applying for the Bilt card, which offers to report rent payments to the credit bureaus.

FNBO Evergreen
GM Copper Card
Wells Fargo Signature
Citi Double Cash
Wells Fargo BILT
Message 6 of 7
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Yes the Bilt card would be the way I pay rent.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.