cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenders don't "hate" or "love" you: Your Profile.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lenders don't "hate" or "love" you: Your Profile.

I think most people get this, but I think it's a thread-worthy topic.  Almost every day on this forum I see threads with people saying that a lender "hates" them, or someone saying that a lender "loves" them.  I know it's all a figure of speech for the most part, but there are times that emotions I think play into these situations too much and cloud judgment.

Someone gets denied a CLI and posts, "Discover hates me."  Someone else gets a huge CLI and posts, "Amex loves me."  Someone has had a Capital One card for 4 years that's stuck at a $1000 limit and they post, "Capital One hates me."  Someone else gets an APR reduction on their card and writes, "Citi loves me."

The inclusion of "me" into the above examples makes it personal, thus allowing emotions to get involved.  I simply think it's important to understand that it's all about one's profile and it's not personal.  Again, I think most of us get this, but there are times where you can tell that people are completely taken over by emotion and it can get to the point of being irrational.

''Chase hates me.  I've applied 3 times for one of their cards and always get denied.  I've never burned them in the past and it's BS that they won't get me a shot.  I'm done trying.  If they don't like me, I'll take my business elsewhere."

Just an example above.  It's not personal, it's just something in this person's profile that Chase doesn't find appealing.  Maybe it's being > 5/24.  Maybe it's a ton of inquiries.  Perhaps negative items present or high utilization.  There's always a reason.  And, the reason isn't personal.

While it's easily to get quickly emotionally invested in these things (no doubt I've been guilty of that) we all have to remember that it comes back to our credit profile and the best thing you can do is continue to educate yourself on this forum and push forward on strengthening that profile.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lenders don't "hate" or "love" you: Your Profile.

But, Discover hates me.

JK.  Maybe not...

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure it feels that way at times.  No doubt there's just something in your profile that they find less than favorable.  If that thing were eliminated, perhaps they'd go from hating you to loving you.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

very true, and i would advise calling the bank after your denial and ask them the reason for the denial, the one's i have called have all told me the reason, too many inquiries, utilization is too high, or i just opened an account recently (man i got declined alot). 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty sure PenFed loves me, they keep sending me emails with "offers just for you", sorry guys.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous
Pretty sure PenFed loves me, they keep sending me emails with "offers just for you", sorry guys.

Nah, they just love something about your profile.  For that, congratulations Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

haha I'm guessing you're not a PenFed customer because everyone gets the same monthly email with generic offerings.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BBS.  Glad you posted this.  I have been thinking the same thing for some time.

I am always struck by how a lot of the language is the same as the language you'd use for a boyfriend or girlfriend, including rages associated with breakups.

I am remember thinking this especially one day when I stumbled into a thread (might have been in the CC forum) when it became clear that everyone in the thread was making financial/credit decisions based on whether they felt "liked" by the issuer.  It was like being on a really alien planet.  Or rather I felt like the alien -- my worldview (which I had thought was universal) was that everyone knew that businesses never made decisions about their customers based on liking them.  Even friendliness was a business decision.  I thought everyone knew that.  But it sounded like everyone on the thread was negotiating emotional needs via their plastic, rather than making those decisions based on a coldly dollars and sense basis.

Message 8 of 19
Mahraja
Valued Contributor

+1000 @BBS and CGD its purely business nothing personal .....Smiley Wink

Profile Worth 2.0+M+
___________R.a.j
"Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse"
Message 9 of 19
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Creditors loving or hating me might not matter at all....Today alone, I got 2 calls from different phone numbers, 1 on cell, 1 on landline. Both calls said they were the IRS...one said lawsuit is being filed. The other said the sheriff was issuing a warrant for my arrest...which is good...free rent, and 3 square meals, as well as medical...bring it. I of course hung up on them, but I wonder if after the put me in the pokey, do I still have to pay the lawsuit...it's a quandry...lol!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.