cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lessons Learned

tag
Chell3719

Lessons Learned

Hi I am a new poster to this forum.  I just thought I would pass on some recent lessons learned and see if anyone has any feedback on fixing these hard lessons.

1.  I use to have a high credit score (over 800).  However my husband and I changed our regular costco cards to American Express cards and now he uses his for everything.  Becuase this is a joint account the balance on the two cards together counts against me.  So even if I have less than $500 he might charge 10-15K and pay it off, but the balance shows as high charges for me. (debt to credit ratio)

2.  I paid off a store card that I had no use for any more.  I wasn't gaining anything from it.  I would run a bill and pay it off each month to zero.  So I shut it off.  Then I was told by a loan officer that this would negatively affect my score as now my debt to credit ratio was decreased.  Now four months later I get a credit score drop to the low 692 and it says that my balance on my (closed store account) credit card has increased to $9.00 .  I find it funny that a balance can increase on a closed account.  I can't figure out what to do. 

3.  I opened a new account with points and better use of my money.  I now use that card for everything and for the first time in many years I am carrying a balance that I can't pay off in full each month. (will take about 6 months)  I have been told that this is not bad as long as I am making significant payments and am not late.  However, though my other cards are zero'd my score keeps dropping. 

4.  My husband and I refinanced out house for remodel a year and half ago.  I was told by the loan officer that it wouldn't impact us too much, but apparently that may be wrong too.  I am curious if anyone knows how long it takes of good payments to help your score out again. 

It is a funny tricky system this credit stuff and I hope that I am not the only one that can get completely confused by it all.  I would love to hear any lessons that others have learned.

Thanks, Chell
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
antredd67
Contributor

Re: Lessons Learned

Chell,

Wow to see your Fico score be over 800 and to drop to the high 600s can be devistating.  All I can tell  you is that keep making timely payments, don't apply for new credit that you don't need, keep balances below 30% uti of credit limit, and your scores should rise back up.  For me being a 40 year old man, and not understanding credit until I joined this forum, I have learned that having self-control and using my credit wisely have helped my scores steadily increase over the passed two months.
Message 2 of 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Lessons Learned

Don't fret. 692 is still plenty good! Keep moving forward. You will be back up there in no time.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.