Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter from CA, Not My Account

tag
0errant
New Contributor

Letter from CA, Not My Account

Hi all,

Today I received a letter from a collection agency (Convergent Outsourcing), referencing an account that isn't mine. It lists GE Capitol as the original creditor, with a balance of over $1k. I've no knowledge of this account, and it does not appear on any of the three CRs. Do I just toss the letter, call them, or write a letter. The letter they sent says I have 30 days to dispute?

Any help would be appreciated! I've never received anything like this before, and it's freaking me out Smiley Surprised

Starting Score: 528
Current Score:840 DISC, 788 EFX, 849 TRU, 850 XPN
Goal Score: 850+ for all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Letter from CA, Not My Account

Debt collectors notoriously dont do a reasonable investigation of legitimacy of the asserted consumer when initiating collection activity.

That is the primary purpose of the DV process.... to compel them to state that they have investigated the accuracy, and have obtained verification from the creditor that you are the asserted debtor.  It's at least a clearing house to get them on record as stating that they have investigated and obtained verification, however shallow, of you as the debtor.

Dont ignore it.  Any time one is out there asserting you owe a debt, it is important to get it resolved.

Send a DV within the 30-day period of their dunning notice, and they will be compelled to cease collection activity until they have at least asserted back to you that they have obtained verification of the accuracy of their collection.

Since you have no recollection of the debt, I suggest that you also include in your DV letter a request for the name and address of the original creditor.  Response to a DV is not required to include such disclosure unless specifically requested in the DV. It will require more of them, and additionally give you more info to possibly identify the source of the allged debt.

Message 2 of 3
0errant
New Contributor

Re: Letter from CA, Not My Account

Thank you, Robert. I sent off a DV letter, CRRR. We'll see what happens next.

Starting Score: 528
Current Score:840 DISC, 788 EFX, 849 TRU, 850 XPN
Goal Score: 850+ for all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.