Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letters from Equifax...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Letters from Equifax...

I've received 2 letters in the past month from Equifax, both look like form letters. They indicate that a 'negative' item has been reported and it 'may' impact my credit score. They want me to sign the form, include my SSN and mail it back to them. I just reviewed my credit reports (all 3) less than 2 or 3 months ago and everything is in order. No collections, no lates, nothing. I am paying off one credit card that has a balance. Even with a balance, it's still less than 30% under the maximum amount. I do have student loans, but I'm in forbearance right now. So, I know that's not rated as negative. Plus, I just received a quarterly statement from them and nothing is late, now was there anything on the form indicating 'late'. I have a few medical bills, but I'm on payment plans and paying everything on time as scheduled. Since I ordered my 3 free credit reports about 2 months ago, I can't order them again. I'd rather not pay for them right now, if I don't have to. Has anyone else every received anything like this? Is it a scam? A ploy to get you to pay for something from equifax? Both letters have been from equifax. I've never received a 'final notice' from anything. I'm at a loss at to what it can be since it's only from one agency! Help! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a correction..

my student loans payments are being deferred. I'm not in forbearance! Thanks! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's weird, I've never heard of that.

That's weird, I've never heard of that.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird, huh?

You would think I would've received 'notices' from bill collectors before something from just one credit agency. I'm really curious if it's scam.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact Equifax

There's got to be a way for you to contact Equifax directly to see if this is legitimate. I'm very skeptical of anyone requesting my ssi#.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

In thinking about it, there was a collection agency arm o...

In thinking about it, there was a collection agency arm of Equifax at one point -- they were spun off as Risk Management Associates. I'm wondering if EQ's at it again?

Regardless, it seems very odd. Personally, I'd probably write to EQ's general counsel, if only because if it is fake, they need to know about it, and if it's not fake, they will have someone answer your question.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Would you mind explaining your last post to me a...

Thanks.  Would you mind explaining your last post to me a bit more in detail?  I get the concept...but I'm still confused.

And, I would think if it was a collection agency, then a dollar amount would be on the letter..and not just a 'mail back to us'  type of thing.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't sound like a letter actually sent from Equifax...

It doesn't sound like a letter actually sent from Equifax, which means that Equifax needs to know that someone's breaching their trademarks.

If it IS sent from Equifax, they can explain why they sent it.

God knows I've had a ton of stuff reported and never gotten any forms to sign.

(Personal contact information removed by admin.)

Message Edited by Barry on 03-27-2007 06:47 PM
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I've been thinking about it ALL day.  I'm going...

Thanks.  I've been thinking about it ALL day.  I'm going to write them a letter. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's my take on it, go ahead sign the letter turn over...

Here's my take on it, go ahead sign the letter turn over your ssn.  In a matter of months, you'll see all types of inquiies on your credit report from whoever sent you that scam trying to open credit in your name.   Equifax will NEVER ask for your personal information.  The only time you send personal onfo to Equifax is at your iniation, ie filing a dispute. Anyone can add anything to your credit file and equifax will NOT notify ou.  That is up to the collectors and your due dilligence. 

Notify Equifax that you received this letter.  You can get their contact info at www.equifax.com

BTW do NOT contact the sender of that letter.  The only thing that will do is let them know you are a real person.  On the other hand it could be a collector trying to verify your identity before slapping you with a judgement.  If it is its not a trick you should fall for.

Message Edited by Brammy on 03-27-2007 08:59 PM
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.