Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LexisNexis Opt Out Identity Theft

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LexisNexis Opt Out Identity Theft

How do I opt out of LexisNexis if I was involved in the Government hacking?  Do I have to file a police report? Police report seems irrelevant since the Feds are on top of this one.  But LexisNexis website ask for police report information. Anyone have any thought please I'd appreciate it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: LexisNexis Opt Out Identity Theft

Are you referring to a fraud alert as opposed to opting out?

There are two types of fraud alerts under the FCRA.

One is an initial alert, lasts for only 90 days, and requires no assertion of actual fraud/identity theft.

The onther is an extended fraud alert, which requires an assertion of an actual fraud or identity theft, supported by a police report.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Presumably, you speaking of putting on a fraud alert or freeze, which is wise to make it more difficult for fraudsters.

EDIT: Opting-out is an option. Not 100%, but some data will be surpresssed. However, it's not clear reading LexisNexis help page whether they cease collection of any such data or it's simply surpressed only. It seems no matter what one does, LN is likely still collecting personal data, and may still share it with others in various situations.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if its a freeze or an alert, but either way I can't seem how to do either one with LexisNexis. I did the 90 days with the other 3 credit reports but LexisNexus seems different.

And you're right their website shows suppression option but it's confusing on what they suppress and if its equivalent to the freeze/alert.  The suppression is asking for a police report, but I am confused on why they want me to contact my local police when the Feds are already investigating this. My whole life and finger prints were stolen, my doubt on local police report would actually do anything unlike the Feds investigating. LexisNexis is pretty unclear.

Message 4 of 10
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Presumably, you speaking of putting on a fraud alert or freeze, which is wise to make it more difficult for fraudsters.

EDIT: Opting-out is an option. Not 100%, but some data will be surpresssed. However, it's not clear reading LexisNexis help page whether they cease collection of any such data or it's simply surpressed only. It seems no matter what one does, LN is likely still collecting personal data, and may still share it with others in various situations.

There isn't much you could do to stop any CRA from collecting data...  just from providing it in certain ways to certain requesters. (And even then, there are exceptions...)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 5 of 10
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure if its a freeze or an alert, but either way I can't seem how to do either one with LexisNexis. I did the 90 days with the other 3 credit reports but LexisNexus seems different.

And you're right their website shows suppression option but it's confusing on what they suppress and if its equivalent to the freeze/alert.  The suppression is asking for a police report, but I am confused on why they want me to contact my local police when the Feds are already investigating this. My whole life and finger prints were stolen, my doubt on local police report would actually do anything unlike the Feds investigating. LexisNexis is pretty unclear.

Well, the local police report won't "do anything" in terms of actually addressing that theft, no.  Nor, really, does a local police report do much about addressing "normal" ID thefts.

What the report DOES do, though, is check the right boxes from the CRAs and lenders so their fraud freeze process can continue. (That's in practice all the local police ID theft report is good for, unless the theft involved a known local perp that the PD can physically get to...)

So why do the CRAs ask for the report?  It cuts down the number of false reports of fraud (or so they believe).  It means that a false report to the CRA now also means "filing a false police report"...

So...  Just go to the local police, file the report (that both you and they know is useless paperwork), decline their offer to be entered on the National ID Theft Registry, receive your report number, and move on to the CRAs with it.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for everyone's responses.

When I saw your comment about just checking boxes, I thought that made since. So I am trying to file a police report but my local police instructions are to send it to the Forgery Unit so that they can investigate and prosecute.

"Specific documentation is needed in order to prosecute identity theft cases. The information requested herein is the minimum required for successful investigation and prosecution. Identity theft is a serious and time-consuming matter, demanding your full cooperation and patience. Once you have completed the attached packet, please send it to the Forgery Unit."

How are my local police going to prosecute the Chinese hackers.  A tad bit outside their jurisdiction. Haha

I don't know. I guess I give up. If this is what LexisNexis wants, not sure its worth my time and especially don't want to feel like a fool in front the police asking them to prosecute Chinese government officials.

Message 7 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The requirment for a police report as part of the FCRA identity theft process has nothing to do with consideration of whether the law enforcement agency will investigate, pursue or prosecute.  The requirment is there only to separate spurious claims of account not mine from "legitimate" assertions.

When you file a police report, you become subject to prosecution for any knowingly false statements.

Congress adopted that as the dividing line for acceptance of assertions of account not mine as basis for blocking the account from the consumer's credit report.

Whether or not law enforcement investigates or prosecutes is irrelevant to the purpose.

Message 9 of 10
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Do you have any documents stating you've been hacked? I remember getting my lexis Nexis frozen from a document Cap 1 sent me stating my CC was either lost or stolen. I didn't need to file a police report, although I do remember that being one of the options. Good luck OP

Personal:

Business:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.