cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LexisNexis Risk reports exempt from 7-year rule?

tag
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

LexisNexis Risk reports exempt from 7-year rule?

Pulled my LexisNexis report yesterday... nearly 100 pages spanning over 25 years.

If FCRA says that information can only be kept 7-10 years, why can LexisNexis keep everything?  

For example, it lists "marketing requests" from over 15 years ago from payday lenders... that can't look good when Amex does their soft pull for prequalification (which the report also showed.

What rules govern LexisNexis and their ilk?

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: LexisNexis Risk reports exempt from 7-year rule?

They're not a credit reporting agency so the FCRA doesn't apply to them. They're just data aggregators.

Message 2 of 8
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Well, isn't that a delightful little loophole!

Is it difficult to dispute and get stuff removed from there?

Another example, they listed a speeding ticket I received in 2019.  It was in Indiana.  Indiana has a thing where if you plead guilty and keep your nose clean for 6 months, it is eliminated from your record.  Seems I should be allowed to get it removed from LexisNexis as well.

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 3 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@designated_knitter wrote:

Well, isn't that a delightful little loophole!

Is it difficult to dispute and get stuff removed from there?

Another example, they listed a speeding ticket I received in 2019.  It was in Indiana.  Indiana has a thing where if you plead guilty and keep your nose clean for 6 months, it is eliminated from your record.  Seems I should be allowed to get it removed from LexisNexis as well.

It depends on the data and why it's being disputed. 

The dispute process itself is pretty straightfoward,  in many cases you can do it online or over the phone but worst case is that you will need to dispute or follow up an online dispute with something in writing.

Where you may have trouble is in trying to dispute off valid information.  I've only disputed off someone else's data that was incorrectly added to my file. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@designated_knitter wrote:

Pulled my LexisNexis report yesterday... nearly 100 pages spanning over 25 years.

If FCRA says that information can only be kept 7-10 years, why can LexisNexis keep everything?  

For example, it lists "marketing requests" from over 15 years ago from payday lenders... that can't look good when Amex does their soft pull for prequalification (which the report also showed.

What rules govern LexisNexis and their ilk?

You can freeze Lexis.   I did so years ago.   After it's frozen when you request a report you get a blank.   The only downside I've had from freezing Lexis is that sometimes lenders will generate identity questions based on information in Lexis.   They can't do this if there is no Lexis data so they make you mail in additional ID docs.

Message 5 of 8
House2021
Established Contributor

Does this Lexis report affect getting a mortgage? How can I get a copy of mine?

Message 6 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@House2021 wrote:

I just Googled it.    Here is the link:

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

It should have no impact on your mortgage application.   You might be shocked by how much inaccurate information is in your LexisNexis report and how enormous it may be, going back decades.

Message 7 of 8
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@House2021 wrote:

I just Googled it.    Here is the link:

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

It should have no impact on your mortgage application.   You might be shocked by how much inaccurate information is in your LexisNexis report and how enormous it may be, going back decades.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to print a hard copy report!  Will result in massive deforestation and needing a separate "printer ink" line of credit!

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.