Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LexisNexis report questions

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

LexisNexis report questions

I recently requested my LexisNexis reports, and the paperwork arrived via snail mail today. I immediately logged in to view my documents. My report is 65-ish pages long, and contains a lot of repeated information--like addresses, and weird variations of my name, and other stuff that I don't know whether to do anything about, or just leave as is.

But mostly I want to know if freezing my account is a good or bad idea. I froze all three major CBs several years ago, after numerous credit cards were fraudulently opened in my name. Since I'm almost always gardening, the rare times I've had to temporarily lift a freeze really haven't been a big deal. But I'm not clear on where LexisNexis fits in as far as credit goes.

I'm only aware of creditors using the 3 big CBs for credit-making decisions, not LN. From scanning my LN file, I see a ton of inquiries--recent ones--from Amex, Discover, Cap1, and Allstate!!  I was surprised by that last one. I knew that some states allow *auto* insurance companies to use credit ratings in their approval/denial process, but: 1) I didn't think California was one of them and, 2) I don't currently have auto insurance. I have three policies with Allstate: homeowners, earthquake and umbrella.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should do anything to correct all the weird variations of my name and birthdate, and whether freezing the file would be a good or bad move. All input appreciated! Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: LexisNexis report questions

@SoCalGardener wrote:

I recently requested my LexisNexis reports, and the paperwork arrived via snail mail today. I immediately logged in to view my documents. My report is 65-ish pages long, and contains a lot of repeated information--like addresses, and weird variations of my name, and other stuff that I don't know whether to do anything about, or just leave as is.

But mostly I want to know if freezing my account is a good or bad idea. I froze all three major CBs several years ago, after numerous credit cards were fraudulently opened in my name. Since I'm almost always gardening, the rare times I've had to temporarily lift a freeze really haven't been a big deal. But I'm not clear on where LexisNexis fits in as far as credit goes.

I'm only aware of creditors using the 3 big CBs for credit-making decisions, not LN. From scanning my LN file, I see a ton of inquiries--recent ones--from Amex, Discover, Cap1, and Allstate!!  I was surprised by that last one. I knew that some states allow *auto* insurance companies to use credit ratings in their approval/denial process, but: 1) I didn't think California was one of them and, 2) I don't currently have auto insurance. I have three policies with Allstate: homeowners, earthquake and umbrella.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should do anything to correct all the weird variations of my name and birthdate, and whether freezing the file would be a good or bad move. All input appreciated! Smiley Happy

Many years ago, on advice from one of the credit forums, I was somehow able to permanently disable LN.   If you go to pull my report it will say no record found.   I can't remember now how I did it.   There were a few different ways of creating various types of freezes.   I think the one I did had to do with a fraud alert.   Anyway, the only down side that I found from not having a LN account is that lender ID verification systems pull security questions from LN, so if you are not in their file, or otherwise frozen, you will always have to submit ID docs.

Message 2 of 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I followed the same process a while back and had similar results...lots of weird and old data.  Seems like if anyone had misspelled my name or address or something, it was there and the history was extensive.  I cleaned it up, it was easy to do...you can call them and go line by line with the issues and they correct them.

A few notes...lets say you have an account with Bank X and they have variations of your name, an old number or address in your history...well even if you delete that from LN today, it may reappear if Bank X updates them if your account is still open.  I attempted to delete some VERY old addresses and found them to reappear and then discovered why.  It won't happen with every account you have, but good to know.

Also, some of those random inquiries are similar to the marketing emails/letters you get for credit....they pull data from an address and you get scooped into a report...that's not to say you were targeted specifically but could have been included in a random pull from an agency.

Lastly, there are some banks and other FI related businesses that use LN as a verification service so while they don't pull your report to determine if you're eligible for credit...though I think SYNC is an exception here...but what I am referring to is....have you ever been verified and they ask you questions about things you have to remember from 10 years ago or some random fact that you've likely long forgotten?  They are using LN to verify you and with LN locked, you may fail verifications because they say they can't verify you and you're thinking..wait...you've got my stats and going to do a HP on a CB but you still can't verify me?  That experience is likely tied to them also using LN to verify.  Ultimately, you can go either way...freeze or not...but suffice to say...if you do chose to freeze and experience "we can't verify you" it may point back to them.

Message 3 of 9
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Yeah, from looking through page after page of weird variations, it absolutely looks like a lot of typos. But that's yielded some pretty funny-sounding versions of my names! Smiley Happy

There's nothing bad that I've spotted, just a lot of misspelled words/names. At this point, I don't think I'm going to do anything, but that's subject to change!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Yeah, from looking through page after page of weird variations, it absolutely looks like a lot of typos. But that's yielded some pretty funny-sounding versions of my names! Smiley Happy

There's nothing bad that I've spotted, just a lot of misspelled words/names. At this point, I don't think I'm going to do anything, but that's subject to change!

Decided the same thing with my 122 pages of nonsense.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Decided the same thing with my 122 pages of nonsense.

122?!!!  Shoot, I feel cheated!! Mine is only about 65 pages! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I'd trade you any day. I have a weird address. My current address counts for page after page of errors. When I built my house in '08, no one could get it right. I would get questions like "are you sure that's your address?" *smh*

Message 7 of 9
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

I'd trade you any day. I have a weird address. My current address counts for page after page of errors. When I built my house in '08, no one could get it right. I would get questions like "are you sure that's your address?" *smh*

Oh no!!  When I bought my previous house, the post office made a mistake on the forwarding address info--they transposed two numbers--and that PLAGUED us for years!! Now, if *that* still showed up in any of my reports, I'd definitely take the time and effort to get it fixed. Luckily, it eventually went away. But what a pain....so I feel for you!

At other times over the years, I found grossly incorrect information on my credit reports, for example, an address I supposedly lived at--but it was in a state I've not only never lived in, but never even VISITED. Smiley Surprised  How that ended up there is beyond me. Another time, an address that I recognized as one of my daughter's post-college addresses showed up as mine; at least I could kind of, sort of, understand how that ended up on my reports, but an address in a state no one in my family had anything to do with?!

Message 8 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

Oh no!!  When I bought my previous house, the post office made a mistake on the forwarding address info--they transposed two numbers--and that PLAGUED us for years!! Now, if *that* still showed up in any of my reports, I'd definitely take the time and effort to get it fixed. Luckily, it eventually went away. But what a pain....so I feel for you!

At other times over the years, I found grossly incorrect information on my credit reports, for example, an address I supposedly lived at--but it was in a state I've not only never lived in, but never even VISITED. Smiley Surprised  How that ended up there is beyond me. Another time, an address that I recognized as one of my daughter's post-college addresses showed up as mine; at least I could kind of, sort of, understand how that ended up on my reports, but an address in a state no one in my family had anything to do with?!

This here! And folks wonder how merged files happen at the CRAs. Though, I don't think it's much of a problem anymore, it used to be quite a problem some years ago.

As my subdivision began to fill out (We were the only ones there for a while), we began to see less and less of it. However, EX still refuses to put the address in properly.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.