Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little change in scores over two years

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Little change in scores over two years

For the past three years I have been militant regarding my credit. I paid off all collections, removed all old debts. I got a couple of department credit cards, have a school loan, and a car loan. When I first started the process, my credit scores quickly moved into the 640-ish range with all three bureaus. Since then the movement has been minute. My high score is 679, lowest 653. I have read and re-read all the things I need to do to make my credit better, but little has changed. What do I do? Thx.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
antredd67
Contributor

How much credit are you using now?

If your score isn't moving, are you charging above 50% of your credit limit thus keeping your UTI low? It could also be that your accounts are still too young.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fedex, you mentioned you paid off all collections but the...

Fedex, you mentioned you paid off all collections but they are still factored into your score.  Give it time.  You will start to notice a change as these bad items age off the account and with a three year credit history and derogs listed, paid or unpaid, you probablty have a very good score, all things considered.

As th pp said try keeping your utilization below 30% and just wait it out.  Sometimes a score gets to the point where there are no quick fixes left, just time.  Once all your revolving accounts start hitting 6 mos, 1 yr and 24 mos mark you will definitely see improvement.  Lay off the inquiries as well
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I keeping my scores low by inquiring on my own credit...

Am I keeping my scores low by inquiring on my own credit reports? I was under the impression that if I did the inquiring, it wouldn't count against me. The only inquiries credit companies can view are the ones being made by companies I"m asking credit for. Is this wrong? I check each credit bureau nearly every month. Did I do this to myself????
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a chance

fedexgirl wrote:
Am I keeping my scores low by inquiring on my own credit reports? I was under the impression that if I did the inquiring, it wouldn't count against me. The only inquiries credit companies can view are the ones being made by companies I"m asking credit for. Is this wrong? I check each credit bureau nearly every month. Did I do this to myself????

Fedex girl you can checkyour own report as often as you like.  When you check your own reports this is a soft inquiry that does not affect your score.  No one but you can view these types of inquiries.

Your problem is not the inquiries you initiate against each bureau.  It just seems that you need time for things to age and fall off.  Even though your collections are paid off, they are still considered by the score for likelihood of repayment.  If your history is only three years old, you will need to let it age in order to increase your score.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. Thank you.

Got it. Thank you.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.