Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan and CC interest

tag
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Loan and CC interest

Hi all. I'm trying to understand the difference on how interest rates are handled with loans vs credit cards. Let's say a person took out a $5000 loan with a 12% interest rate. Let's say that same person has a credit card also with an interest rate of 12% and charged $5000 on it. If he paid the same amount on his card every month as equal to his loan payment, wouldn't he end up paying the same amount of interest on both products once both were paid off? Or is there some different way one or the other is calculated?

Thanks in advance. This is probably a newbie question to many of y'all, but I keep finding conflicting information online. It looks like loans charge more toward the beginning, and credit cards charge the same rate throughout.

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Loan and CC interest

Yes he would pay the same amount of interest. 

Loans are set up with monthly payment amount for a preset number of months.  So if you borrowed $5000 @ 12% interest over 36 months your monthly payment would be about $166. After 36 months you would pay about $976 in interest.

Charging $5000 On a card with 12% interest then paying it off @ $166 month for 36 months would bring the total balance on card to $0. 

This is rough figuring. 

Loans aren't charging more at the beginning. Instead the percentage of your $166 monthly payment that is applied to principal is less because the loan balance is almost 100%.  

You can get an idea of this with your 12% interest example. Each month you will pay about 1% interest on the balance due. So in month one $50 Of the $166 payment will go towards interest. But once your balance is at $2000 only $20 Of your $166 monthly payment will go towards interest.  Towards the end of the 36 month period most of the monthly payment will go towards principal. 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 2 of 5
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

That makes sense. I guess I was thinking since loans have a set payment amount, the interest would be the same each month, figured in and evenly distributed. Lol thanks!

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 5
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@CashBackQueen wrote:

That makes sense. I guess I was thinking since loans have a set payment amount, the interest would be the same each month, figured in and evenly distributed. Lol thanks!

No loan, credit card, mortgage, car loan, personal loan, or heck, even a loan from a loan shark, has a flat interest/principal structure; literally 100% of them charge the bulk of interest up front.

With the above said, there is one interesting difference between a personal loan and a credit card.  Lets use your example, a $5,000 personal loan with a 12-month payment structure and a $5,000 charge on a credit card.  Now lets say you win the lottery three weeks after initiating the two loans.  If you pay off the credit card, you's still be within the grace period and you'd pay $0.00 in interest, for the personal loan you'd also need to pay approximately $50.00 in interest.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Most installment and credit card interest assessment calculation methods are very different.

With the same initial debt balance and same stated "APR," assessed interest is substantially different.

Most credit card agreements establish interest based on the "average daily balance" method, which is substantially different than installment loans, which calculates based on the pre-established payments and monthly interest of 1/12 of the APR.

The payment amounts for installment loans are the same over the amortization of the loan.

Paymnet amounts for credit cards must meet at least the contract agreement minimum amount, but amount paid is determined by the consumer.

As an example of a typical credit card interest assessment, divide the "APR" by the number of days in the year to determine the daily interest assessment, then calculate the average daily balance remaining, which adds the actual end of day balances for each day,  and divides that sum by the number of days in the month to determine a daily average. 

The monthly interest is then the average daily balance times the daily interest rate assessment.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.