Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local grocery store forcing CCs swipe and not use EMV chip

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Local grocery store forcing CCs swipe and not use EMV chip

So I moved to another town and there is a popular local grocery store that was were I live with my parents, so I went there to do grocery shopping and this is my third visit that they "force" me to swipe credit card instead of EMV chip, I was like why I can't use the EMV chip since the machine has the option but the cashier told me to swipe and the software on the machine says to swipe. The other local grocery that I visited from other town they have the same machine and let me.use EMV chip. I went to the net and stated that EMV protects the CC info versus swipe that exposes your info. Maybe next time will put the EMV and see what happens or better pay with Samsung Pay. Why I dont visit other brand grocery? Because this have all the products I buy.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Local grocery store forcing CCs swipe and not use EMV chip

They were forced to have the hardware in place by a certain date. Not every place has the software up and running yet.

Message 2 of 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

The grocery store is not in compliance but it’s not illegal. However, since they’re still processing credit cards with a magnetic strip, their business will be held automatically responsible for any fraudulent charges made by a patron using a chip card. So hopefully, they have taken that into consideration. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still run into the swipe instead of insert places here and there. It is what it is and I don’t let it bother me much. Your cards are protected against fraudulent charges. Sure, it’s an inconvenience if it happens, but it shakes itself out.

At especially “sketchy” places, I am chooseful of the card I use. I’ve never had a problem with AMEX being immediately responsive to fraudulent charges, so they get the swipe. Based on reports I’ve heard, a Citi card would be my last choice since I don’t have time to jump through hoops.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.