cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term fraud alert - chase & amex cards taken off all three reports!!!

tag
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

Long term fraud alert - chase & amex cards taken off all three reports!!!

So I noticed that the three bureaus took the liberty of taken all my Citi & Amex cards off my credit reports because these are the two brands that was mentioned in the police report that I submitted to put a long term fraud alert.  Now the problem with this is that I'm still using all these accounts, which are among the oldest credit lines that I have.  In addition, there were a few closed accounts that was aged for more than my average age of credit.  

The question is whether I can get them to put it back on my report, if not the closed accounts, I would hope that Amex and Citi will report those accounts back to the bureaus which at least take out some stings from having them removed.

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Long term fraud alert - chase & amex cards taken off all three reports!!!

If both CCs were mentioned, did the ID theft include the unlawful use or cloning of these CCs?

ETA...if ever in this situation again, do not give the CRAs your police report. You can place a FA without giving them a report.

Message 2 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While initial fraud alerts dont require an identity theft (police) report, requesting an extended fraud alert does require submission of an identity theft report to the CRA.

FCRA 605(b).

I'm a bit confused as to why inclusion of a fraud alert resulted in the accounts being excluded from your CR.

An extended fraud alert places restrictions on establishing new credit without prior, express consent of the consumer, but does not remove the account from the consumer's credit report.  FCRA 605(h)(1).  It does not include a block from CR inclusion.

Blocking of information from a consumer's credit report is covered by FCRA 605B, which also requires submission of an identity theft report.

That is a separate request from the consumer.

It appears that the CRA placed a section 605B block.  The consumer may rescind any such block.

I would send a request for recission of any CR block directly to the CRA.

Message 3 of 15
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

I'm thinking that the bureaus read the police report and see that several of my cards was mentioned in the report thus deletinng them to protect me.  I simply placed an extended fraud alert using each bureaus' specific form without further instruction in a separate letter.  I wonder if they do that for all?  

While these accounts were compromised, they were never late or have any negative effect on my report because I was instantly alerted to the activities thus prevented further damaged.  None of the negative activities ever showed up on the reports so its interesting to see them deleting them anyway.  

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 4 of 15
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

Yes, as Robert mentioned, the extended alert requires submission of a police report so I had no choice.  As there were activities on the two American Express accounts more than 6 times, Paypal once, and Citi account once, I thought it was prudent to freeze and put an alert on it.

Message 5 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs have no authority to selectively delete accounts from your credit file based on a fraud alert.

Message 6 of 15
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

So I contacted Experian and Equifax today.  Experian told me that Equifax asked them to delete the Citi & Amex accounts.  I asked both if they can restore the accounts but they say they can't and won't.  They can I have to ask Amex and Citi to put the accounts back on my credit report.  I called Amex and they told me that other than the monthly reporting that they do, they can't put the accounts back on the reports as they have no authority over the reports.  So the culprit here is someone at Equifax.

Message 7 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What authority did they provide for deletion at the request of one other than the furnisher of the information?

FCRA 621(f) mandates only that a CRA refer to each other credit reporting agency any consumer complaint alleging identity theft or requesting a fraud alert or block of information pertaining to alleged identity theft for the purpose of providing notice in the consumer's credit file.  Deletion would be contrary to that obligation.  FCRA 603(q)(2).

I would file a complaint with the FTC for improper deletion of accurate information.

Message 8 of 15
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

Thanks Robert, I have taken your suggestion and filed a complaint with the FTC.  I also contact each bureaus by mail directly and hopefully they can restore/unblock these records somehow.

Message 9 of 15
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

!@#$, creditkarma showing a 40 point drop because of this!!!  

I just dropped a EECB (executive email carpet bomb) to all three bureaus.  I won't take no for an answer, not when its their fault.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.