Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time user, first time stolen

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Long time user, first time stolen

I just want to know if I should be concerned... Someone compromised my chase card and was charging it hundreds. I reported it instantly to chase, but am still concerned. Is there anything else I should do?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Long time user, first time stolen

This reply might be overkill, but it’s what I did when my debit card was “hacked”. I put hacked in quotes because I still had the physical card but someone somehow had gotten the details necessary to make purchases. (I never found out how)

I immediately disputed the charges with TD and had the debit card cancelled. I checked to see how much gas was in my car (I was at work when I found out) and when I knew I had enough to get home I reported all my CCs as missing and got new cards sent out for those, too. I went online and changed the login info for all of my financial accounts and email.

Sucked not having access to any kind of money the rest of that day, but I went to TD the next morning and got a new debit card immediately.

It was one of the scarier moments of my adult life.

Edit: I also watched all activity on all my accounts like a hawk for the next few months
Message 2 of 7
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there anything else I should do?

Like Jatyro91 said, change your pin's, passwords, put an alert with the 3 bureaus (at least lock).....notify everyone.  My bank caught my card being used fraudently and locked my card before they ever notified me and I was not responsible for the charges.  They did not honor those charges....shew!  Also, I bought rfid sleeves and wallet for my cards.  Good luck!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sprink & Others ... very scary!

Message 4 of 7
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I've had it happen at least a half dozen times over the years on various cards. I've always assumed that the cards have been compromised by a merchant that was hacked, or the details were skimmed off the card somewhere. I've never done more than dispute the charges and keep an eye on my statement. 

While changing passwords and PINs periodically is not a bad idea in any case, it still won't keep merchant data breaches from allowing cards to be compromised. Since I've never been out of pocket for any of the fraudulent charges, I consider it the CC company's problem and don't worry about it. Note that debit card protections are not as strong as those for credit cards, so I rarely use my debit card except at ATMs for cash.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 5 of 7
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This reply might be overkill, but it’s what I did when my debit card was “hacked”. I put hacked in quotes because I still had the physical card but someone somehow had gotten the details necessary to make purchases. (I never found out how)

I immediately disputed the charges with TD and had the debit card cancelled. I checked to see how much gas was in my car (I was at work when I found out) and when I knew I had enough to get home I reported all my CCs as missing and got new cards sent out for those, too. I went online and changed the login info for all of my financial accounts and email.

Sucked not having access to any kind of money the rest of that day, but I went to TD the next morning and got a new debit card immediately.

It was one of the scarier moments of my adult life.

Edit: I also watched all activity on all my accounts like a hawk for the next few months

I don't think this is overkill at all.  My debit card was 'hacked' while it was sealed in the envelope!  Even the Wintrust branch manager was shocked.  Keep your head on a swivel!

SL

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would contact all the banks you do business with including Creditors, and notify them that you may be a potential victim of theft, and you need new account numbers, and a card.

Banks hate paying for fraud so I am sure they would be more than willing to get you a new card. Put a lock on you're credit report.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.