Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of age closing an account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loss of age closing an account

Quick/brief insight please? 

Helping daughter. Procured her a very low tier card. (it reported well). Grew that 7 months. Procured her a Dicover secured. Closed the other card, with zero concern for the age of accounts for 10 years based on everything I have read. 

Her Credit Karma (no offense myFICO) score dropped dramatically, and now shows her age is 1 month. The heck? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

Re: Loss of age closing an account

Don't use Credit Karma scores.

Was your daughter the primary or an AU on the closed card?

Also, if the remaining card has a zero balance, that will trigger the all-zero penalty (at least for a FICO score; dunno about FAKO scores).

Message 2 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

When building credit. Opening and closing cards isnt the way to go about it. If you open one. Keep it open. You building a file and a history. Once you get past 5 cards then the "thin" file will go to "thick" file. You'll need at least 3 cards and some type of installment loan to go with  FICO's credit mix bonus. First work on building a revolving credit history. We all had to start at the bottom and work our way up. We may not like what we have in the begining as better things come in. But they are doing a world of benefits to growing a credit file. FICO doesnt care about the name on the card nor the credit limit. Its whats reported each month. Get up to 3 cards. Practice AZEO. Then work on a starter loan to get some more credit mix history.

Message 3 of 7
stw715
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick/brief insight please? 

Helping daughter. Procured her a very low tier card. (it reported well). Grew that 7 months. Procured her a Dicover secured. Closed the other card, with zero concern for the age of accounts for 10 years based on everything I have read. 

Her Credit Karma (no offense myFICO) score dropped dramatically, and now shows her age is 1 month. The heck? 

Credit Karma shows your average age of OPEN accounts.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the CRA's and anyone inquiring to her history will see a longer age the CK is showing? I see it's "closed by consumer" now. Furthermore, this seemingly-noob mistake was by design, where I took her $200 secured card refund from the one card, and used it to open the $200 Discover. Guess I didnt think this through. 

Then again, I dont think she would have gotten the Discover without the groundwork mentioned. So there's that. 

Thanks yall. 

Message 5 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So the CRA's and anyone inquiring to her history will see a longer age the CK is showing?

Yes. FICO considers ALL accounts - both open and closed - when calculating age.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 7
Flfico
Regular Contributor

The vast majority of lenders use fico scores, not vantage scores (Credit Karma). With Fico, the closed account will remain on her account up to 10 yrs and factor into her AAOA. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.