Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost...What should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lost...What should I do?

This Spring I applied for Federal loan repayment program which resulted in a hard pull with Equifax. I have a public record reporting to only that CRA so who knows if I'll qualify (fingers crossed that they'll accept me anyway).

My current total is approximately 30k and I'm currently at 30%. If my plan goes as plan everything will be paid off by December 2016 in preparation for a home ownership in spring of 2017.

Now comes the questions. Since I have the recent HP for the loan repayment should I just add another HP for a credit card to increase my available credit therefore decreasing utilization or apply for PenFed to open a savings- like account and possible credit card and hope that will help the mortgage application later on or do nothing.

Outside of the satisfied state tax baddie on EQ and 3 accounts reported late as a consigner no further baddies.

My LOC and personal loan and my revolver cc will be paid by end of the year. Amex PRG will have a few bucks on it.

What should I do? Any input will help.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Re: Lost...What should I do?

What are your scores like - if you post that information, someone may be able to give you some good advice...

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Yes please give that info as it would be a significant help in determining where you may stand.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops I left out vital info: Ex/Tu/EQ -- 761/763/723
Fico Cct scores pulled a few days ago.
Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You need to give us a better idea of what your credit profile looks like.  Consider the FICO scoring factors.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

How many accounts do you have and of what types?  What's your Payment History like?  Is the public record the only derog on your reports?  You'll want to address all derogs that you can possibly address.  30% is the generally suggest max for revolving utilization but you'll want to be much lower -- especially if you have a public record.  How is your AAoA?  How many new (<2 years) accounts?

Don't count on new credit to decrease your revolving utilization.  Get the balances down on your revolving accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:
or apply for PenFed to open a savings- like account and possible credit card and hope that will help the mortgage application later on or do nothing.

If you have a public record reporting on Equifax I wouldn't recommend relying on PenFed.

@Anonymous wrote:
Outside of the satisfied state tax baddie on EQ and 3 accounts reported late as a consigner no further baddies.

Hit Rebuilding and carefully research to see what you can do about these.  Derogs tend to have significant impact and will hold you down as long as they are on your reports.  You want clean reports with 100% positive Payment History.

@Anonymous wrote:
Amex PRG will have a few bucks on it.

Are you carrying a balance on a charge card?  You'll want to get out of that if you are.  Make sure you're addressing whatever the causes are for your carried balances or you will not be able to make long term progress.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response Takeshi74.
Yes I've addressed the issue that lead me into this mess. The husband is gone! I have a mega plan in place where cc, loc and loan all courtesy of the ex will be paid in full by Dec 2016. Framework duplicated from a Fico member!!

Accounts:
2 charge (I'm an AU on one) both Amex PRG
4 revolver cards
2 student loans
1 personal loan
1 LOC
1 car loan

The late reports were greater than a year ago on two accounts where I was a co-signer. One for my ex for leased equipment (30 days) the other for my sisters car note 2 times greater than 30 days.

AaoA all CRA 11 years.
My car note is the only account less than 2 yrs
PR is a satisfied state lien missed during bad marriage. The year says 12/31/0000 I'm not sure what that means

And no other baddies outside of the late and PR.

Do you believe PenFed won't accept me because of the PR?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.