Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCM Collection comes back after equifax removed it

tag
ChetBrown56
Valued Member

MCM Collection comes back after equifax removed it

I filled an online dispute with equifax about the MCM Collection that was on my account. It is paid. After the 30 days it was removed and I received the report that it was deleted.

Two days later it shows back up on my report with the same account number and everything?1?!?!?! Are they allowed to do that. Can I contact Equifax and let them know what happend. Or do I dispute again and hope that they dont respond, only to add it back on my report again.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: MCM Collection comes back after equifax removed it

So did Equifax state that the collection was deleted as a result of your dispute ? If so then I would think that you could get them to remove it again.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
ChetBrown56
Valued Member

Yes, I received the Dispute results sheet that is online and one of the lines states.

We have researched the credit account/ ########## The results are. This item has benn deleted from the credit file. If you have questions contact MCM BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

A TL can reappear and re-report, but by law, EQ had to have notified you within 5 days, I believe. I'll leave the legal details of the FCRA to others like RobertEG.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Information that was previously deleted as a result of a dispute regarding its accuracy can only be reinserted in your credit report if the furnisher of the information and the CRA has first complied with the reinsertion requirements of FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

That section basically assumes that deletion resulting from a dispute resolution occured because the deleted information was found to be incomplete or inaccurate, or was not verified.  Thus, prior to reinsertion, the party requesting reinsertion must first provide the CRA with a ""certification of accuracy of the information."  That is their certification that, notwitstanding its earlier deletion by way of dispute resolution, they now certify that it is nonetheless complete and accurate. 

The CRA must evaluate that certification.  They can only reinsert the deleted information if they accept the certification.  Within 5 days or their reinsertion of the information, they must send you notice to that effect.  Thus, if you have information that was previously deleted as a result of a dispute, and it is reinserted in your credit file without the required notice from the CRA of its reinsertion, then their reinsertion is in clear violation of FCRA 611(a)(5)(B).

You can send a complaint to the CRA for their violation of section 611(a)(5)(B).  I would not send this as a dispute, as it does not relate to the accuracy of the information itself, and thus does not directly involve the furnisher.  It is a violation by the CRA, not the furnisher.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.